There is plenty to do in the Queensland capital when the sun is out, but what about when the weather is not so kind? Brisbanites are so accustomed to spending time outdoors on sunny days that when the clouds burst, they are often left without a plan B.
Don’t worry. As usual, we’ve got you sorted. Here are the very best things to do on a rainy day in Brisbane.
- Vintage gaming, pinballing and beer your thing? Same. Get yourself over to Netherworld in the Valley for PG fun and some not-so PG drinks and a feed. P.S—they do some of the best vegan food in town!
- Nothing is better on a rainy day than Vietnamese food. Pho-get the stormy weather at Café O Mai in Annerley.
- Would it be too obvious to say ‘go to the cinema’? No? Okay, go to the cinema, but make it the Blue Room so you can have a cheeky glass of wine and some munchies while you watch the movie.
- Give your mind a lazy massage at QAGOMA. And if you want to spoil yourself, stay for a meal at the amazing restaurant
- Settle in at B+C Lab cafe with one of their creamy match lattes. Bonus: they're open late.
- Watch the rain fall outside while sipping a cocktail on the (covered) deck at Little Big House in South Brisbane.
- Go antiquing in Woolloongabba then chow down on one of the Baker’s Arms’ famous parmy sandwiches.
- OR browse the Antique Centre in Paddington before setting up in Java Lounge, Shouk or Chapter IV for a tasty lunch.
- Sip some wine while creating an abstract masterpiece at Cork & Chroma in West End.
- Do some op shopping in Annerley, with a pit stop at Dudley Street Espresso for coffee and sweet treats.
- Mosey through Folio Books for a couple of hours while occasionally re-fuelling at the adjoining café.
- Indoor mini golf is always the answer when it's raining, and Holey Moley are the best in the biz! Who can say no to the triplethreat that is themed holes, pizzas and cocktail combo?
- Do the Boggo Road Gaol tour. When you’re finished, pretend you’ve escaped after 27 years and run outside into the rain for your Shawshank moment.
- Go for a swim at Spring Hill Baths. Crazy when it’s raining, I know, but most of this beautiful facility is indoors and once you’re in the water you’ll be wet anyway, right? And this pool is heated, baby.
- Indulge in some well-deserved head-to-toe pampering at One Wybelenna.
- Add to your life skillz by doing a cooking course at The Golden Pig.
- Eat a giant pork knuckle and get drunk on Hefeweizen at The Bavarian.
- Watch Netflix until it thinks you’ve fallen asleep.
- Bang a bucket of balls at Vic Park, then retire to the (covered) bar for a cheeky frothy.
- Spend an afternoon pretending you're an IRL Harry Potter—or at least pick up some rad memorabilia at The Store of Requirement, aka Australia's first EVER HP-dedicated store.
- Catch up on your US sports (and dive into a bucket of wings while you're there) at Fat Angel.
- Eat, drink and watch comedy or live music at the Brisbane Powerhouse.
- Admire the incredible craftsmanship of custom-made motorbikes at Smoked Garage. At the very least order a coffee and a pastry, then lounge around in their incredible digs.
- Crack open a bottle of plonk and tuck into some creamy brie at any of these wine and cheese bars.
- Be entertained. Be very entertained at one of QPAC’s shows.
- Need to burn some energy? Hit up BOUNCEinc in Tingalpa.
- Snuggle up with a piping hot pizza at iconic Brisbane slice, Julius Pizzeria.
Image credit: Ariana Gillrie for The Urban List