There is plenty to do in the Queensland capital when the sun is out, but what about when the weather is not so kind? Brisbanites are so accustomed to spending time outdoors on sunny days that when the clouds burst, they are often left without a plan B.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you sorted. Here are the very best things to do in Brisbane when it's raining.
- Vintage gaming, pinballing and beer your thing? Get yourself over to Netherworld in the Valley for PG fun and some not-so PG drinks and a feed. They do some of the best vegan food in town.
- Nothing is better on a rainy day than Vietnamese food. Stop in to Café O Mai in Annerley for your pho fix.
- Go to the cinema, but make it Palace Cinema (tip: James Street now has Palace Platinum, aka Gold Class) so you can have a glass of wine and order some food from locally surrounding restaurants while you watch a movie.
- Give your mind a lazy massage at QAGOMA.
- Settle in at B+C Lab cafe with one of their creamy matcha lattes. Bonus: they're open late.
- Watch the rain fall outside while sipping a cocktail on the (covered) deck at Little Big House in South Brisbane.
- Go antiquing in Woolloongabba then stop in for one of Baker’s Arms’ famous parmy sandwiches.
- Browse the Antique Centre in Paddington before setting up in Java Lounge, Shouk or Chapter IV for the afternoon.
- Sip some wine while creating an abstract masterpiece at Cork & Chroma in West End.
- Do some op shopping in Annerley, with a pit stop at Dudley Street Espresso for coffee and sweet treats.
- Mosey through Folio Books for a couple of hours while occasionally re-fuelling at the adjoining café.
- Indoor mini golf is always the answer when it's raining, and Holey Moley tops the list.
- Do the Boggo Road Gaol tour.
- Go for a swim at the Spring Hill Baths. Crazy when it’s raining, right? Wrong. This pool is heated, plus you'll beat the crowds.
- Indulge in some head-to-toe pampering at One Wybelenna.
- Notch up the life skills by doing a cooking course at The Golden Pig.
- Eat a giant pork knuckle and get drunk on Hefeweizen at The Bavarian.
- Watch Netflix until it thinks you’ve fallen asleep.
- Bang a bucket of balls at Vic Park, then retire to the (covered) bar for a cheeky frothy.
- Spend an afternoon pretending you're an IRL Harry Potter—or at least pick up some rad memorabilia at The Store of Requirement, aka Australia's first EVER HP-dedicated store.
- Catch up on your US sports (and dive into a bucket of wings while you're there) at Fat Angel.
- Eat, drink and watch comedy or live music at the Brisbane Powerhouse.
- Admire the incredible craftsmanship of custom-made motorbikes at Smoked Garage. At the very least order a coffee and a pastry, then lounge around in their incredible digs.
- Crack open a bottle of plonk and tuck into some creamy brie at any of these wine and cheese bars.
- Be entertained. Be very entertained at one of QPAC’s shows.
- Need to burn some energy? Hit up BOUNCEinc in Tingalpa.
- Snuggle up with a piping hot pizza at iconic Brisbane slice, Julius Pizzeria.
Image credit: Ariana Gillrie for The Urban List