If the TV show 'Friends' taught me anything, it’s that the holiday armadillo is the most underrated festive character of all time. And also, I guess, that your friends are the most important people in your life. They help you move your furniture (“PIVOT!”), they support your quest for true love (“She’s your lobster!”) and they teach you to love yourself for who you are (“I’m curvy, and I like it!”). But like all relationships, if you don’t put in time and effort it won’t make it past your 30s.
Luckily, there’s no shortage of fun things to do with your crew in Brisbane. So whether you’re celebrating your number one gal pal or a budding bromance, here are 20 totally cute date ideas for your friendship:
- Nothing beats bonding with a bottle of wine, a painter’s palette, and a clear canvas. Cork & Chroma is good for novices and artistes alike so no matter what your skill level, you and your friends are guaranteed a good time (and fresh new décor for your pad).
- Swing by New Farm Deli and Café and purchase a selection of delicious characutire, marinated olives, pecorino and brie, and other continental goods before walking down to New Farm Park to enjoy a riverside picnic.
- Swing by Black Bear Lodge Tuesday through Saturday to check out an extensive range of music, from local indie bands to touring folk and jazz artists.
- Do a boxing session at West End Boxing Gym and follow it up with acai bowls and smoothies at Miss Bliss Whole Foods Kitchen.
- Take advantage of the Brisbane CityCyle program and do the Brisbane river loop. Depending on how ambitious you’re feeling you can choose routes from 5km to 40km!
- Lace your boots up and go for a hike. Mt Ngungun is a good beginners hike, whilst Mt Tibrogargan is a little more challenging. Follow Brisbane Hikers Guide on Facebook for hot tips and the chance to make even more friends.
- Grab a couple of dollars and go treasure hunting at one of Brisbane’s many antique centres – Paddington Antique Centre and Commercial Road Antiques are all treasure troves full of quirky odds and ends.
- If you consider yourself a coffee connoisseur, go where the masters go and experience one of the master classes available at Warehouse Barista Training or Coffee Dynamics.
- Step off the edge and experience abseiling at Kangaroo Point Cliffs. Or if you’re not so keen on scaling a sheer rock face, checkout Urban Climb West End for indoor climbing.
- The Cat Cuddle Café is the first of it’s kind in Brisbane, offering the chance to enjoy not only delicious cakes and quiches from the café, but also quality time getting cosy with some friendly felines on the prowl for a new furever home!
- Grab your swimmers and go chasing waterfalls – with so many within easy distance of Brisbane, you and your pal can enjoy the fresh air and get a truly enviable Instragam pic.
- Sign up for a cooking class at The Golden Pig and learn to make (and then devour) a decadent dessert. Alternatively, recreate a Nigella Lawson classic – the Chocolate Guinness Cake is ridiculously good!
- The Brisbane Flower Market are a flora-fans dream. Wander around the stalls, purchase the pick of the bunch, then go home and create intricate arrangements for each other. Watch out for bees.
- Try your hand at squash, tennis, or minigolf. Winner gets bragging rights for eternity.
- Recreate this iconic scene from Sex and the City and clear out your wardrobe, donating pre-loved outfits to charity. What makes this a friendship date? Taking the time to try on your amazing outfits and dance to Run-DMC. We won’t blame you if you get side tracked and start watching SATC – we’ve all been there.
- Make the drive up to the Eummundi Markets and wander through the stalls looking for a gift that will one day become an inside joke. Cool off afterwards with a swim at Noosa.
- Even if you’ve got two left feet, try your hand at a dance class at Mad Dance House. They've got dozens of different classes so you're bound to find one you are both good at.
- Cruise down the coast and soak up some sunrays together. Soothe your sunburn by stopping in at Justin Lane for pizza and beer as you savour the sunset
- Check out novelty Brisbane bars Holey Moley and Netherworld for the ultimate night out.
- Brisbane Powerhouse is a mecca of culture and arts, with a wide range of performances to see, ranging from cabaret, to jazz, to comedy.
Image credit: Hayley Williamson