We know you well enough to know that when crappy weather comes, Melburnians don’t simply go into hibernation. We don the layers, pack a handbag-sized umbrella and keep the good times rolling. But when the wet weather does dampen your alfresco plans, we’ve got you covered for alternatives. Here are 50 things to do inside in Melbourne for days when the weather sucks.
1. Treat yo self at Sense of Self, the inner city bathhouse and self-love oasis.
2. Use your body as a controller in the ultimate gaming day out at Zero Latency.
3. Catch a local jazz act at Lido Cinema’s Jazz Room in Hawthorn every Friday and Saturday night.
4. Order takeaway from these Melbourne meal delivery services who’ll do the cooking for you.
5. Watch a classic flick with an obligatory glass of wine at the Astor Theatre in St Kilda.
6. Take a tour of Melbourne’s best craft breweries, shotgun not deso driving.
7. Let out your rage by throwing some paint and breaking some stuff at Smash Splash.
8. Take your cocktail making skills up a notch with these top tips from Chelsea Catherine.
9. Get lost for hours in the NGV International.
10. Stay in bed and watch Netflix, we do it all the time.
11. Turn up the heat at some of Melbourne’s best boutique gyms
12. Ice skate like a Disney on Ice Pro at O'Brien Group Arena, Docklands.
13. Stack your patties as high as you want at the American-style Meat Frankie burger bar.
14. Catch a blockbuster film on the giant, 3D screen at IMAX Melbourne.
15. Expand your mind to scientific proportions and gaze at the Planetarium's starry sky at Scienceworks.
16. Get your nerd on at The Virtual Reality Cinema in Collingwood.
17. Take a trip to the Bendigo Art Gallery for a glimpse at some of the best local and international exhibitions.
18. Go for a game and stay for the drinks at the CBD’s largest licensed venue, Ballers Clubhouse.
19. Leaf through bestsellers and classic novels at The Grumpy Swimmer bookstore in Elwood.
20. Go retro and roll your way around the Caribbean Rollerama, there'll be some killer tunes to assist you.
21. Learn some MAD skillz and book into a class at WorkShop Melbourne.
22. Take a trip down Degraves Street like a true tourist.
23. Create a masterpiece while enjoying some wine and cheese at Cork and Canvas.
24. Learn about the many communities that make up Melbourne at the Immigration Museum.
25. Support local artists from your couch with the Finders Keepers Online Marketplace.
26. Join the Cardigang and knit yourself the cosiest (and coolest) winter knit.
27. Up your mindfulness practice with the LEGO® Botanical Collection.
28. Visit the Melbourne Museum and get #cultured.
29. Find your way out of Melbourne’s top twelve escape rooms.
30. Choose your meatball, choose your sauce, and choose your main ingredient (hint: polenta) at The Meatball and Wine Bar.
31. Green your space with indoor plants from Melbourne’s own The Plant Society.
32. Have a Demi Moore moment and go to a pottery class.
33. Enjoy some peace and quiet at the State Library, or do some study you pesky little procrastinator.
34. Shoot all your most annoying friends with lasers in LaserForce at Sidetracked.
35. Peruse the best art galleries in Melbourne.
36. Seek out some of the best hidden bars in Melbourne, treat yourself with a drink when you find them all.
37. Get your putt on and down a Furphy tower at Holey Moley minigolf bars.
38. Go high-brow and attend a literary event at the Wheeler Centre.
39. Nab a take-home tub from your favourite gelaterias in Melbourne.
40. Dance uninhibited in the dark at one of No Lights No Lycra's various Melbourne locations.
41. Plan the bougiest staycation with this how-to guide.
42. Join the free-jumping revolution and hop over to Bounce Melbourne.
43. Book yourself in for a treat at one of Melbourne’s best spots for a massage.
44. Get some retail therapy while doing good at the street style brand HoMie.
45. Reconnect with your someone special at these romantic Victorian winter cabins.
46. Let your troubles melt away at the Peninsula Hot Springs—hot tip: don’t be put off by rain, it’s actually super relaxing and there’s usually fewer people around.
47. Have a read and a sip at Melbourne’s own wine bar and bookshop combo, Willows & Wine.
48. Down a pint of Guinness and have a grand time at Melbourne’s iconic Irish pub, The Quiet Man.
49. Learn about filmmaking and the art of cinema at ACMI.
50. Be an adrenaline junkie for a day and try indoor skydiving at iFLY.
If the weather brightens up though, take yourself on one of these ten amazing walks near Melbourne.
Image credit: supplied