We won’t lie—a five-course meal complete with roses, vino and chocolate dipped strawberries sounds damn delightful, but let’s be real, we’re all living that budget baller life.
If you’re wanting your tinder date to fall head over heels in love with you, then stick with us kids because the following date ideas will not only have them wishing the swiped right long ago, but will also cost you peanuts. You’re sooooo welcome.
Here are the best budget date ideas in Sydney.
- Unleash your mini golf skills (slightly drunk, we might add) at Newtown’s Holey Moley. With espresso martinis and pork belly bao, you’re pretty much set for a tipsy, delicious date night.
- Impress your date with harbour views, cobbled laneways and food stalls that won’t disappoint at The Rocks Foodie Friday Market. You know what they say, heart + stomach = a solid date night option.
- Check out Highfield Caringbah, the newbies in Sydney’s pub scene. With rooftop terraces, cocktail bars and a living garden, these guys sure know how to have a damn good time.
- Tell your date to dress comfy, elastic pants preferred, and bounce off the walls at Sky Zone.
- Give theatre a go this date night at the Griffin Theatre company in Kings Cross, where you can score tickets from less than $50 to comedies, dramas and everything in between. (Your date will think you’re cultured AF, #welcome).
- If you and your potential soulmate both love fluffy, adorable fur balls head to Catmosphere Cat Café.
- This summer is the perfect op to flaunt that bikini bod of yours at Wylie’s Baths in Coogee. A date with ocean views, sunshine and swimming would totally win our hearts, TBH.
- Luna Park has been around for yonks and what’s the bet you haven’t been since you were a wee kiddo. With tickets at $48, you and your date can share a romantic lil’ kiss at the top of the Ferris wheel overlooking Sydney harbour—cute or cute, amirite?
- It’s oh-so-important to find out if you and your date share the same kind of humour, so heading to the Comedy Lounge will sort that right out.
- The concept of Boomerang Bikes is bloody genius and we’re cheering at the hundreds of bikes popping up all over Sydney. Grab your date and get peddling through Sydney’s gorgeous shores, parks and picnic spots—oh and don’t be that person who dumps them in gutters or lakes when you’re done (like c’mon guys, really?).
- If your date is a tad on the sporty side, and you’re more into binge eating and Netflix, now’s your chance to lie and impress them with your kayaking skills at Manly Kayak Centre. For just $45 an hour you can hit the harbour and go on your own adventure.
- Whip out the big guns (you’re potentially hanging with your soulmate IRL remember?), and head down to Rollerfit. Part fitness, part dance and one hell of a par-tay, this one is fun (tick), cheap (double tick) and bound to bring the LOLs #sold.
- It’s undeniable that scenic views = romantic AF, so we reckon taking your date to Sydney Tower Eye is a winning date idea.
- The picturesque Bare Island Fort in La Perouse isn’t your typical date spot—meaning your date is going to think you’re original, creative and in touch with nature (aw yeah). Pack some brie, crackers and vino and you’re in for a good time.
- Located in Surry Hills (brunch capital of Syd), grab your date a coffee and croissant and head on down to the Prince Alfred Park Pool to soak up some rays.
- The Standard Bowl is ten pin bowling done right (forget the kiddies parties). With a boozy bar, pool and pinball machines, you and your date are promised a chilled-out date with live bands, hot tip: check their gig guide before you go.
- Penguins are adorable and if you’re wanting to impress your date with just how cute you can be, heading on down to SEA LIFE Sydney is your best option. Online tickets will only set you back $33.60, meaning you can buy your date a soft plush penguin toy at the gift shop (game, set and match)—their heart has officially been won.
- Madame Tussauds should be on everyone’s Sydney to-do list, it isn’t every day you get to visit a spooky yet freaking awesome wax figure museum. The best part is, if your date gets boring, you can always go hang out with Ryan Gosling or Michael Jackson—winning.
- Literally everyone loves animals. Take your date on a casual yet cute outing to WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo right in Darling Harbour. For just $50, you can score tickets to see WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo and any of its neighbouring attractions like Sydney Tower Eye, Madame Tussauds Sydney or SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium.
- Lunch dates are always a winner in our books, especially when Long Chim is offering a feed me menu at $45 per person. If your date (like us) is a foodie, a lunch date at Long Chim will totally impress.
- Dancing on a first date is always a risky and frightening concept, but fear no more, No Lights No Lycra is a totally dark, totally daggy yet cool dance party for all dancers (novices, pros and even the dance intolerant).
- Carriageworks Farmers Market is the perfect daytime activity that isn’t too fancy or formal for your date. For an ideal meetup with a cutie, stroll through the fresh produce, taste all of the samples and sip on some top quality coffee—easy, cheap and bound to be a cracker of a date.
Looking for more cheap things to do in Sydney? Read this.
Image credit: 500 Days of Summer