Our flagrant obsession with breakfast in Brisbane would be worrying if breakfast was an illicit activity. If it’s poached, smashed, drizzled with maple, or can have smoked salmon on the side, we’re all over it. Thankfully, our love for the morning meal has resulted in us being utterly spoiled for choice by the sheer multitude of cafes serving up truly spectacular feeds first thing.
Whether you dig on granola or the greasy fry-up, these are the best Brisbane cafes you can depend on.
1. Scout Café, Petrie Terrace: Famous for their epic breakfast bagel, Scout is one of the cutest cafes in Brisbane, no question.
2. Gauge in South Brisbane: sure to impress the most seasoned Brisbane breakfaster, Gauge's menu defies convention and redefines the morning meal.
3. Morning After in West End: Local favourite, these guys have become known for a tasty, refreshing breakfast menu that's a little bit fancy (order the truffled scrambled eggs and find out what we mean).
4. Day Made in Woolloongabba: The Brisbane epicentre for all things Coffee Supreme, Day Made is part brew consultancy, part cafe with a neat little breakfast menu of just a couple of things done really seriously super well.
5. Plenty in West End: A focus on locally sourced ingredients, plenty of healthy breakfast options, and a charming casual fitout has earned this Brisbane café many fans.
6. West End Coffee House in West End: just the kind of spicing up our mornings need, WECH brings North-East Thai cuisine to the breakfast table. The pulled pork fried rice is a firm favourite, as is the Thai-style omelette.
7. Billy Kart Kitchen in Annerley: Ben O’Donghue’s café is nothing short of magic. Expect quality breakfast nosh that's reliably excellent, and some super delicious pancakes.
8. Pearl Cafe in Woolloongabba: Perfect for any occasion, Pearl Cafe has the most exquisite breakfasts and freshly baked cakes in town.
9. Naim in Paddington: for a Middle Eastern breakfast you can't go past these guys. Falafels, hummus and shakshouka aside, the pumpkin and halloumi toast is a seriously magnanimous crowd-pleaser.
10. Lewin Street Store in Bardon: Populated by a band of locals, Lewin Street Store has become something of a community hub, and since they started spruiking greenery you can now get your houseplants, coffee and breakfast all in the one convenient location.
11. Penny Coffee Co. in Dutton Park: Combining the brewing finesse of a roaster with the full-bodied menu of a breakfast joint, Penny Coffee is a must-visit for any brunching enthusiast.
12. Neighbourhood Roasters in Rainworth: the incredible coffee isn't the only attraction, Neighbourhood does some seriously cute and tasty breakfast munch, best enjoyed in their garden out back.
13. Sourced Grocer in Newstead: Stalwart of Brisbane's breakfast scene and now sporting a fresh new deck, Sourced Grocer is all you need to start your weekend on the right note.
14. Florence Coffee in Camp Hill: nourishing breakfasts, specialty coffee, and a pantry of their very own pickles, relishes, and condiments for sale make Florence Coffee the ultimate.
15. Grown Café in West End: plant-based, sustainable, and ethically minded, West End’s Grown is a vegan paradise. We love the tofu toastie and homemade hash browns for late brunch.
16. Pourboy Espresso in South Bank: Home to some of the city's best coffee, Pourboy also happens to make Brisbane's best croque monsieurs and madames.
17. Kin & Co in Teneriffe: Another maven in the avo toast game, Kin & Co are committed to delivering the goods at all times of the day. For hearty breakfast satisfaction, look no further than the potato rösti with mushroom medley.
18. Atticus Finch Cafe in Paddington: There's no better way to take your breakfast than with an amazing cup of Atticus' coffee amid a jamboree of their canine customers.
19. Jam Pantry in Greenslopes: One of the most beloved kids on the Brisbane breakfast block, we love owner Nim’s obsession with preserved goods, pickles, chutneys and relishes - all showcased on the changing menu and available for purchase by the jar.
20. King Arthur Cafe in New Farm: Specialty coffee, fresh baked goods, and tasty breakfasts that get you excited about waking up.
21. Just Earth in West End: the relaxed and easy atmosphere makes Just Earth seem more like Saturday morning in a mellow sharehouse than a café, and the food offerings are all super tasty and nourishing, with ingredients sourced from Food Connect and local farms.
22. Wild Canary in Brookfield: Popular with the west side crew for their botanical brunches, this secret-garden vibin’ café serves up breakfast until 11am. The Gardener’s Breakfast with ham, pork and fennel sausages, and garden grown vegies is a winner.
23. The Single Guys in Kenmore: Great coffee starts with a single bean, and these coffee-nuts know how to roast them and brew them to perfection, all from their suburban digs.
24. Lokal + Co in West End: This Scandi-cafe's breakfast menu is as delightful and pure as you would expect, but with the added pizzazz of some choice breakfast cocktails.
25. Reverend's Fine Coffee in Fortitude Valley: The best coffee on the block and a strong breakfast game make Reverend's deserving of daily worship.
Image credit: Hayley Williamson for The Urban List