Our flagrant obsession with breakfast in Brisbane would be worrying if breakfast was an illicit activity. If it’s poached, smashed, drizzled with maple, or can have smoked salmon on the side, we’re all over it. Thankfully, our love for the morning meal has resulted in us being utterly spoiled for choice by the sheer multitude of cafes serving up truly spectacular feeds first thing.
Whether you dig on granola or the greasy fry-up, these are the best Brisbane cafes you can depend on.
1. Scout Café, Petrie Terrace: Famous for their epic breakfast bagel, Scout is one of the cutest cafes in Brisbane, no question.
2. Gauge in South Brisbane: sure to impress the most seasoned Brisbane breakfaster, Gauge's menu defies convention and redefines the morning meal.
3. Morning After in West End: Local favourite, these guys have become known for a tasty, refreshing breakfast menu that's a little bit fancy (order the truffled scrambled eggs and find out what we mean).
4. Day Made in Woolloongabba: The Brisbane epicentre for all things Coffee Supreme, Day Made is part brew consultancy, part cafe with a neat little breakfast menu of just a couple of things done really seriously super well.
5. Plenty in West End: A focus on locally sourced ingredients, plenty of healthy breakfast options, and a charming casual fitout has earned this Brisbane café many fans.
6. Billy Kart Kitchen in Annerley: Ben O’Donghue’s café is nothing short of magic. Expect quality breakfast nosh that's reliably excellent, and some super delicious pancakes.
7. Pearl Cafe in Woolloongabba: Perfect for any occasion, Pearl Cafe has the most exquisite breakfasts and freshly baked cakes in town.
8. Naim in Paddington: for a Middle Eastern breakfast you can't go past these guys. Falafels, hummus and shakshouka aside, the pumpkin and halloumi toast is a seriously magnanimous crowd-pleaser.
9. Penny Coffee Co. in Dutton Park: Combining the brewing finesse of a roaster with the full-bodied menu of a breakfast joint, Penny Coffee is a must-visit for any brunching enthusiast.
10. Sourced Grocer in Newstead: Stalwart of Brisbane's breakfast scene and now sporting a fresh new deck, Sourced Grocer is all you need to start your weekend on the right note.
11. Florence Coffee in Camp Hill: nourishing breakfasts, specialty coffee, and a pantry of their very own pickles, relishes, and condiments for sale make Florence Coffee the ultimate.
12. Pourboy Espresso in South Bank: Home to some of the city's best coffee, Pourboy also happens to make Brisbane's best croque monsieurs and madames.
13. Kin & Co in Teneriffe: Another maven in the avo toast game, Kin & Co are committed to delivering the goods at all times of the day. For hearty breakfast satisfaction, look no further than the potato rösti with mushroom medley.
14. King Arthur Cafe in New Farm: Specialty coffee, fresh baked goods, and tasty breakfasts that get you excited about waking up.
Image credit: Hayley Williamson for The Urban List