Summer in Australia was made for travelling. With the amount of glorious beaches and urban foodie spots waiting to be discovered, there’s never been a better way to spend those precious 48 hours of freedom.
But where do you even start? While iconic sights like Uluru and the Sydney Opera House dominate guidebooks, there are plenty of other local wonders to suss out. Luckily, we’ve got you covered with this round-up of Australia’s top experiences, hand-picked to provide you with the deets of where to spend your vacation days this travel season.
Here's your ULTIMATE Australian travel bucket list! Start ticking them off your list.
- Stop off at Loch Ard Gorge on the way to The Twelve Apostles as you road trip the iconic Great Ocean Road.
- Dine under the starry outback sky in the shadow of Uluru with the Sounds of Silence experience.
- Sip artisanal coffee like a local at Patricia Coffee Brewers in Melbourne.
- Take a helicopter ride over stunning Katherine Gorge while you're at it, explore all of the gorges the NT has to offer.
- Swim next to the ocean at Icebergs on Bondi Beach, voted one of the most Instagrammed places in Australia.
- Spend the day laying on pure white silica sand at Whitehaven Beach in Far North Queensland.
- Go snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Grab some takeaway from Zeus Street Greek and have a picnic at South Bank.
- Sip on an ice-cold craft beer while overlooking the Indian Ocean at Bathers Beach House in Perth.
- Take goofy photos at all of Australia’s famous “Big” stops like the Big Banana and the Big Pineapple.
- Take a step back in time by visiting Luna Park in Sydney at night.
- Soak up the Gold Coast’s bar culture at Etsu Izakaya, located at Mermaid Beach.
- Drink your way around the Hunter Valley winery circuit.
- Discover Brisbane’s laneway gems at Super Whatnot.
- Get back in touch with wild Australian nature at its finest at Fraser Island.
- Take one of many walking paths through Lamington National Park.
- Go glamping at Nightfall Camp and indulge in a private massage set alongside bubbling Christmas Creek.
- Experience pure, natural luxury with a stay at Spicers Peak Lodge.
- See an adorable Quokka up close in its natural habitat at Rottnest Island.
- Stare death in the face by shark cage diving at Port Lincoln with Great White Sharks (eek!).
- Visit the cutest fairy penguins you’ll ever see at the Phillip Island Penguin Parade.
- Soak up some Vitamin D at Wineglass Bay in Tasmania, long regarded as having one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
- Take a ghost tour in Port Arthur, the destination for the worst British prisoners in the 1800’s and regarded as one of the most haunted places in Australia.
- Try and catch a glimpse of the Aurora Australis from Cockle Creek.
- Experience the best of Melbourne’s Chinatown at Flower Drum, just make sure you book in advance!
- Dine in an art deco paradise at Eleven Bridge with killer views of the Sydney Opera House.
- Spend a day exploring Cataract Gorge in Launceston.
- Combine a chocolate and wine tasting at Hahndorf Hill Winery. Heck yes!
- Explore your way around Margaret River, a town irresistible to surfers, hippies and city-slickers alike for its killer views and even better wine.
- Take a hot air balloon over the stunning Barossa Valley before landing for a champagne breakfast with Barossa Balloon Adventures.
Keen for a beach getaway? Here's Australia's best beaches, ranked!
Image Credit: Hayley Williamson