When it comes to the wacky world of dating, we like to think we’ve got your back. You’re armed with the best first date spots, date night restaurants, date warning signs, date-friendly make up—heck, we’ve even got 50 rad things to do if you can’t find a date at all. Speaking of, locking down a date in this cliquey city ain’t all that easy.
To help you navigate Auckland’s treacherous dating waters, we’ve come up with 15 ways (some tried and tested, some a stab in the dark) to find a date. May the odds be ever in your favour.
- Sign up for Do Good Dating, an awesome matchmaking initiative that will see you paired up with a partner and sent out to do some good for the community. They also run Do Good Speed Dates in collab with some of Auckland’s top eateries.
- Grab a fellow single friend and book in a booze-fuelled day with Wine Tasting Auckland. You’ll be chucked in a luxe vehicle and carted from vineyard to vineyard with four other peeps. Alcohol, strangers and day trips can only result in good things.
- Crash a wedding. You’ll be able to tick it off the bucket list and hopefully find another date-seeking individual while you’re at it.
- Become a personal trainer and/or bartender. We’ve heard they pick up dates left, right and centre.
- Alternatively, join a gym. You’re both already sweaty and wearing lycra. Plus, bonding over deadlifting personal bests has to be a thing, right?
- Take the bus. A hottie could just so happen to be on your morning commute.
- Cafes are actual dating goldmines…you’ve just got to find the right one. Opt for somewhere you can sit down with a book or laptop for a couple of hours. Soon enough, either that dreamy barista will offer you a free coffee or someone will come over and make conversation. At least that’s what should happen.
- Don’t underestimate the pulling power of a cute, fluffy animal. Take your pup (or boz your mate’s) and take a stroll down Ponsonby Road. The people love puppies.
- Volunteer at Eat My Lunch one morning. Not only will you be contributing to a great cause, you might click with a fellow good samaritan.
- Put your trust in a friend to set you up on a blind date. Cross your fingers that they know your taste and it ends in happy ever after.
- There are a handful of BYO restaurants in Auckland that are always chock-a-block with wine-yielding humans in the weekend. Gather your crew and lock it in. Who knows, the rowdy table next to yours could contain a potential date.
- Brush up on your whisky knowledge, head here and prepare to chinwag over a dram or two. It’s hidden in the CBD but always reels in interesting folk.
- Throw an old fashioned house party (complete with plastic cups and a sausage sizzle. They’re always a good time and people always end up bringing someone you don’t know.
- Befriend a Ryan Gossling-esque guy and let him transform you into a date magnet, just like in Crazy Stupid Love.
- Leave Auckland. Your soulmate might not even be here.
Still single can’t land a date after all that? Here’s why.
Image credit: Collider