We might be
totally slightly biased but Auckland is one of the raddest cities in this fine country of ours. In fact, there are a large handful of things that Auckland has got well and truly down pat.
You can keep your Parises and your New Yorks; we think we’ve got them beat. Here are 22 things that Auckland does better than anywhere else.
- Being the world’s third most liveable city (and the first in the southern hemisphere). ‘Nuff said.
- Being the world’s greatest city on the water.
- Having actual seasons, sometimes all in one day (and there’s a song about it).
- Whenever city life gets too much, we can escape to one of these mind-blowing beaches.
- You can travel the world without leaving the city. Want Indian? Sandringham. Dumplings? Balmoral. Italian? These spots. We’re so #worldly.
- Our weekends have sooo much potential. Lunch escapes, breath-taking spots, walks and hikes, wineries, mountains, islands, high adventures…the list goes on and on.
- You can walk from the west coast to the east coast in one day (and back again if you’re a keen bean/super human).
- The proximity to Waiheke Island. Sometimes we visit ON A WHIM.
- Coffee. That is all.
- Milse and Miann. Our dessert game is dangerously strong.
- Hiding stuff. Positioning cafes down driveways, bars underground and restaurants up high.
- Volcanoes. We’ve got nearly 50 of them and that makes us totally badass.
- Food, glorious food.
- Thousands of fancy pants houses. We might not be able to afford them but damn are they pretty to look at. One day…
- Having a casual attitude towards expensive avocados. 5 bux a pop is a steal…right?
- Aggressive driving. Traffic be cray and one must know how to navigate it #driveitlikeyoustoleit.
- Saving old buildings from ruin and despair, and turning them into something fabulous.
- Christmas. Franklin Road light and Christmas in the Park are joyous occasions.
- Drinking. We love craft beer, cold rose, warming mulled wine—and lots of it. And we’ve got an abundance of drinking establishments to enjoy said bevvies in.
- Queuing (read: waiting patiently). If we don’t have to wait outside in the freezing cold for an hour plus, it must not be worth it.
- Real fruit ice creams. West does it best.
- Lush parks. I mean, have you been to Cornwall? That place is b-e-a-utiful.
While we’re on the subject of how awesome our city is, here are 42 Reasons Why Auckland Really Is (Or Should Be) The Capital Of New Zealand.
Image credit: Flickr