Oh hey there, public holiday! We can’t wait to spend some one-on-one time with you. The day usually starts off with a roaring bang (and by roaring bang we mean a sleep-in until midday or there abouts). But what’s there to see and do when you can’t sleep no more? The shops are closed, your barista is M.I.A. and your squad has left you for faraway places. Fear not—we’ve rounded up 25 things to do in Auckland when nothing’s open.
1. Netflix—need we say more?
2. Build the blanket fort of your dreams.
3. Book a cheeky staycation—preferably at a hotel offering room service and massage treatments.
4. Take a 24-hour vow of silence and really get to know your subconscious.
5. Don’t let the mall’s closure get between you and your shopping. Top up the credit card and get online shopping.
6. Do a half marathon—or a full one if you’re game.
8. Eat your creations—duh!
9. Then cook a roast with all the trimmings.
10. Embark on the coast-to-coast walkway and stroll from one side of New Zealand to the other in a day #massivebraggingrights.
11. Alternatively, try one of these walks.
12. Check out the Whatipu Caves. BYO torch.
13. Re-read the Harry Potter series.
14. Or the Famous Five, whichever you prefer.
15. Waterfalls don’t just dry up on public holidays. Chase these waterfalls.
17. Run yourself a bath and soak the day away. BYO wine and nibbles.
18. Follow this with an at-home spa treatment. Check out how to make your own coffee scrub and hair mask here.
20. See if your monkey bar skills are still up to scratch and hit up one of Auckland’s many playgrounds. We’re particularly fond of the one in Myers Park.
21. Climb a mountain. Mt Wellington, Mt Eden, One Tree Hill, Mt Victoria…take your pick.
22. Dig out the ol’ board games. Challenge your flatmates to a puzzle-off.
23. Dig out some steak from the freezer and fire up the barbie. Don’t have a Weber? Here are seven spots to get your BBQ on in Auckland.
24. Clear out your emails. Catch up on laundry. Scrub the toilet.
25. Did we mention Netflix?
Image credit: Forbes