I’m not really sure how we got here, but welcome. The food universe has thrown cruffins, milo martinis and turducken benedict at you and it still wasn’t enough. So, we’ve ventured to the ends of the Instagram earth to find you something that’ll really make mum and dad scoff and withdraw any and all financial support—the mighty rainbow toastie.
Here’s how to make a rainbow cheese toastie in the comfort of your own home.
- 1/3 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup of grated gruyére cheese
- 1/3 cup grated swiss cheese
- 5 different food colourings
- 4 slices of bread (brioche if you want to get reaaal ~fancy~)
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of sprinkles, to sprankle on top
- Pop to the shops and load up on the ingredients. Do yourself a favour and pick up a fat-free Fruche, or at least something that won’t send you into cardiac arrest when you use it to wash down 6,000 calories of cheese.
- Head home and mix the mozzarella, gruyére, and swiss cheese in a bowl before dividing it into five smaller bowls. Remember, the less you eat now, the more you get to eat later.
- Pop a couple of droplets of different food colouring into each bowl (so you have five bowls of different colour cheeses and not five bowls of greyish brown cheese).
- Heat a saucepan over low-medium heat and pop in a tablespoon of butter.
- Once that artery-clogging dairy bi-product is deliciously melted, chuck in 2 pieces of bread and arrange the coloured cheese into 5 layers from the top of each slice to the bottom (and obviously in order of the colours of the rainbow).
- Grill that bad boy for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese has started to melt and the bread is looking nice and golden. Then flip it, add another tablespoon of butter and move the sammich around the pan until it’s absorbed all the butter and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan, smother it in the remaining butter and cover it in sprankles.
- Enjoy that heart attack inducer with a tall glass of Milo (1 part milk, 6 part Milo) and Instagram a picture with the hashtag #itgetbutterier.
For all of our super amazing recipes, head here.
Image credit: Popsugar