Sunday brunch at home just got cranked up a gear thanks to these easy to make flat brekkie cakes. While there’s nothing wrong with the traditional pancake per se, there’s something hella right about red velvet ones covered in cream cheese icing. So we’ve had a dig around and have managed to pull together the best, most unhealthy recipe imaginable.
Here’s how to make red velvet pancakes at home.
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of red food colouring
- Icing sugar
Cream Cheese Butter
- 1 packet of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- Pop to the shops to collect the ingredients. Don’t buy six packets of the discounted apricot chicken mix on the clearance shelf, you will NEVER make apricot chicken in your life.
- Sift together the plain flour, icing sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk it all together with the buttermilk, eggs, granulated sugar and red food colouring in a separate bowl.
- Slowly combine both mixtures by adding the buttermilk combo to the flour combo.
- Pour the mixture into a hot buttered saucepan and cook in pancake portions that remind you least of the fact that Donald Trump is the President of the United States.
- Quickly put together the cream cheese butter by beating the cream cheese and butter in a bowl at medium speed before gradually adding the icing sugar and vanilla essence.
- Pop a big dollop on top of your fresh pancakes and Instagram a picture with the hashtag #juststrippedfouryearsoffmylifeamen.
Want more amazing recipes? Check out all of them here.
Image credit: Gabriella Bjorklund