Yeah, yeah, yeah—we know it’s time to start getting the rig ready for singlets and festivals, and bikinis and the beach.
But, you know, maybe it would be a good idea to have one little last hurrah before it’s all grilled chicken, broccoli, and protein shakes? If you subscribe to the logic that a healthy life is a little easier to attain with one last blowout before shit gets real, we’re right there with you.
Permission to say yes to all the carbs, sweet treats, and second helpings one last time… Here is our pick of 15 things to eat on the Sunshine Coast before your summer shred begins.
1. The towering and infamous “Big One” at Rick’s Garage—you probs won’t finish it but at least you know you tried. #peptalk
2. Moto at Noosa are already raking in the crowds for their toasties with the mosties. So where should you start? The golden and gooey 3 Cheese Toastie with mozzarella, Maleny Smoked Cheddar, Woombye Triple Cream Brie, and caramelised onion gets our drool of approval.
3. Bikini schmikini—go big while you can, and grab a totally tender slab of smoked wagyu brisket with two sides (totally recommend the mac ‘n’ three cheese and the garlic-sautéed beans!) at Dirty Moes. You might need to man handle someone into joining you for this feast, ‘cause it’s uuuuge.
4. The freshly piped Nutella-filled doughnuts straight from Donut Kitchen are pretty much the best way to end a night of market stall-hopping at Marcoola Markets.
5. Please tell us you’ve tried anything and everything on the menu at Guru Life. No? Well, you’ve got about three weeks to make it happen. Ready, set, go!
6. All. Of. The. Gelato. But especially a scoop of the cinnamon at Massimo’s.
7. Get your waffle on… before you can’t. Order Good Bar’s Chicken & Waffles and you’ll have to smash through a plate of fried chicken, waffles, whipped butter, and drizzled in maple syrup. Think ya can handle it?
8. Beach bodies aren’t made from deliciously crispy chicken wings, but when they’re as good as La Canteena’s, you’ll hardly care. Head in on a Thursday night, and you’ll bag ‘em for 50 cents a pop. We call bargain!
9. Their milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard, so skip to DownTown and get slurpe-happy with a chocolatey-milk refreshment. Still got a gaping hole? Be a total daredevil and order one of their Secret Burgers.
10. A juicy steak at Char Mooloolaba; primarily so you can order a side of their wicked cottage fries. Er mah god.
11. A carb-loaded plate of house-made pasta at Locale. Our pick? The squid ink tagliolini. Just do it!
12. Hit the spot one last time with a perfect sourdough pizza base topped with pork and fennel sausage from the maestros at El Capitano.
13. Vegans should not—we repeat, SHOULD NOT—go past the Tower of Heaven at Elixiba. I mean, seriously, who could say no to paleo chocolate chia cake complete with raw caramel mousse, raw banana ice cream, and raw chocolate sauce. Even if you’re a meat-eater, add this baby to your dessert bucket list.
14. Basically, you need to work your way through the epic vendors at Noosa Farmers’ Market, and whatever you do, do not pass go until you’ve devoured the Malaysian curry. Mmmm.
15. It’s pretty much the meal of summer—so, make your way through the best fish and chips on the Sunshine Coast before it’s too late.
Want to get a head start on those abs? Here’s who you voted as the best personal trainers on the Sunshine Coast.
Image Credit: Ariana Gillrie for Metropolist