Whether you’re a history buff or a fan of good food (who isn’t), there’s something for everyone in Fremantle thanks to its irresistible mix of markets, street performers, arts and waterfront.
Fire up the group chat and find out who’s free, here are the best things to do in Fremantle.
- First things first, book a stay at one of these stunning Fremantle hotels or dreamy Fremantle Airbnbs.
- Then book into as many of Fremantle's best restaurants as you possibly can.
- Start your day with a life-changing sausage and egg muffin and incredible coffee at Peggy's or sit down for some of Freo's best breakfasts at Duck Duck Bruce.
- Educate yourself at the Walyalup Aboriginal Cultural Centre. From Aboriginal arts to bush tucker tastings, the centre is always hosting events and activities to get the community involved in Aboriginal culture, so check out their Eventbrite page to see what this week has in store.
- Stroll through the gallery at Fremantle Arts Centre, before splurging on something special at their gallery shop.
- Catch a gig at one of Freo's awesome live music venues. Whether you're catching a local artist or a major touring act, faves like Freo.Social, Clancy's Fish Pub and Mojos always guarantee a good night out.
- Pair pints and portside views at Little Creatures or Gage Roads Fremantle.
- Eat your way through all the epic eats on offer within the Freo Markets, like the famous banh mi croissant from Viet Kites or the eggy sandwich of your dreams at Eggspot, finished up with a waffle cone from Muffle. Trust us, it's worth the bloat.
- Take in a legendary sunset from Monument Hill.
- Hop on a ferry and spend the day beach hopping and chasing quokkas at Rottnest Island.
- Lace up for a scenic walk along the Manjaree Trail and learn about the six Nyoongar seasons as you make your way down the coast.
- Bao down for dumplings, tacos and more at Sunshine Harvester Works. It's one of the coolest foodie hubs in town, with top eats and drinks from the likes of Bumplings (the brainchild of Masterchef alumnus Brendan Pang), Al Pastor Taqueria, Stampede Gelato, and Union Brewery and Distillery.
- Devour a bowl of curry fries with a bottle of natural wine on the patio at Nieuw Ruin bar then continue sipping through all of Fremantle's best bars, including Patio Bar, Strange Company, Jungle Bird, Ronnie Nights and Republic Of Fremantle. If you're up for adventuring outside of Freo's centre, we're obsessed with Al Lupo—a sexy little beachside option in North Fremantle.
- Creep yourself out with a tour at Freo’s answer to Alcatraz: Fremantle Prison. Their torchlight tour will bring the prison’s sordid history to life with haunting tales of executions gone wrong and undue suffering. If you’re fascinated by the psychology of the criminal mind, check out the prison’s true crime tour for harrowing stories of the gaol’s most notorious inmates.
- Spend the day in South Fremantle and tick off top venues like Madalena's, La Cabana, Wild In The Street and Percy Flint after getting your morning dip in at South Beach.
- Bring your biggest appetite to Yum Brunch, and feast on bottomless dumplings in the bright and airy courtyard at Emily Taylor.
- Knock back a mouth-watering American BBQ platter at the Norfolk Hotel.
- Tuck into the finest antipasti and pasta around at Freo's beautiful new Italian enoteca, Vin Populi, or check out any of these classic Italian eateries.
- Get your French fix with the chicest lunch of your life at La Lune in East Fremantle.
- Go for a sky-high sip at Freo rooftop bars like the National Hotel, The Arbour or Sweetwater.
- Challenge your mates to a day of fun and games at Funlab inside FOMO Fremantle. They've got putt putt, bowling and arcade games all under the one roof.
- Head to Republic Of Fremantle and enrol yourself in their gin or cocktail school. The award-winning distillery and restaurant is home to the best cocktails in all of Perth and a cracking snack and dinner menu too.
- Grab a serve of seafood from one of Perth's best fish and chips at Fremantle's Fishing Boat Harbour. Home to local faves like Kailis Fishmarket Cafe, Twin Fin, and the liquor-licensed Bathers Beach House, there’s plenty of choice when you’re looking for fish by the bay.
- Apologise to your bank balance after a day shopping through boutiques like Three Stories, Common Ground and Ode.
- Throw back cocktails in this hidden bar, tucked within the lush multi-level Old Synagogue precinct.
- Get those creative juices flowing at Frida’s Sip ‘n’ Paint.
- Spend the day crate digging through Record Finder, Mills Records and Junction Records.
- Wake up early for a wholesome morning exploring Freo's Farmers Markets.
- See why continental rolls are so popular in Perth by tucking into one of the best at Galati & Sons.
- Go to book lovers' heaven at Elizabeth's and pick up your next read for an absolute steal. Established in 1973, Elizabeth’s Bookshops are one of Australia’s largest second-hand bookshop with over 400,000 books in stock.
Once you've done everything in Freo, head this way for more things to do in Perth.
Image credit: Louise Coghill, Elle Borgward, Republic Of Fremantle