And on the eighth, God said “shit, guys, we’re so close. What am I missing??” and some yobbo down the back said, “Equality between genders! A cure for cancer! Effective world leaders!”, and God said, “nah nah nah, better than that”, and mac & cheese burgers were born.
Melbourne wouldn’t be Melbourne if it didn’t set the pace for heart-stopping gastronomy, which is why our glorious city has not one but ELEVEN mac & cheese burgers that’ll put any burgerphile into a coma. Each and every one of them more delicious than the last.
So, here are eleven burger list items you need to tick off before 2018 rolls around.
- Trip and wrap your mouth around the wagyu beef burger with cheese, onion, lettuce, tomato, beetroot, ketchup, mustard & mac & cheese on a brioche bun (note: remember to add the mac & cheese from the extras menu!) from Essendon’s Demazzi Stone Grill.
- Lay off the Doritos for a while before you sink your teeth into the ‘Big Mouth’ with double cheese patty, smoked cheese, sliced pickles, bacon, potato gems (!!), jalapenos, mac & cheese sauce, & 3121 sauce on a red brioche bun at Richmond’s Three One 2 One.
- Get ready to couch-ridden and stuck in front of the telly after finishing the ‘Francis Underwood’ with premium Aussie beef patty, American cheddar, tomato, butter, lettuce, mac & cheese croquette, special burger sauce & American mustard on a toasted brioche bun from the CBD’s Grand Trailer Park.
- Stress most of your hair out when you find out how many calories are in the ‘Man Bun R.I.P’ with a beef patty, American cheese, shredded lettuce, tomato, mac & cheese bite, & Fat Jak spread at St Kilda’s Fat Jaks.
- Give your arteries the royal treatment with ‘The King’, loaded with a beef patty, tomato, butter sauce, handmade mac & cheese croquette, American mustard & special burger sauce at the CBD’s Royal Stacks.
- Get a little bit fancy with the ‘Mac ‘N’ Cheese’ with panko crumbed macaroni & cheese pattie, wagyu beef, double cheese, lettuce, mustard, pickles, tomato, jalapenos & brown onion jam from Glen Waverley’s Mocha Joe’s Burger Bar.
- Throwback to a noughties cult classic thanks to the ‘Maclovin’ with chipotle, mac’n’cheese, lettuce, pickles, onion, bacon & mayo from South Yarra’s Hello Sam.
- Push your body to the absolute limit with the ‘Thomas Jefferson’. This bad boy is loaded with a premium Aussie beef patty, double American cheese, lettuce, tomato, mac & cheese croquette, special sauce & mustard on a lightly toasted brioche bun at Werribee’s Truck Stop Deluxe.
- Put a stop to that damn heart of yours with the ‘Beef Mac N Cheese’, stuffed with a fresh beef patty, homemade American macaroni & cheese, bacon, spring onion, lettuce, American cheese, finished with BBQ & aioli sauce at Moonee Ponds’ Burger Kitchen.
- Head west for ‘Mac n Gs’ with beef, mac & cheese croquette, cheese, lettuce, pickle, G sauce & ketchup at Kensington’s Mr Griffiths.
- Then stay west for the ‘Might & Power’ with 120g patty, mac & cheese katsu, American cheddar, house special sauce, ketchup, mustard, lettuce & mayo from Flemington’s Straight Six.
Image credit: Fat Jaks | Griffin Simm