While Nutella on Wonderwhite is something we could all eat three loaves of in one sitting, nothing quite beats a couple of thick cute bread slices deep fried in butter and doused in sh*t that’ll stop your heart faster than a Dachshund in a tutu. Luckily for you, we’ve done the perilous job of sampling plates of french toast all over the city so we could give you an official list of the tastiest.
So, here are the best french toast dishes on the Melbourne brunch scene right now.
- ‘The Deep South’ with bourbon maple french toast, salted toffee ice cream, biscuit and chocolate soil from Fitzroy’s Stagger Lees.
- The toasted brioche with whipped cinnamon, ricotta & honey at Brunswick’s Small Axe Kitchen.
- The brioche french toast with caramelised apple, fresh strawberries, walnuts and gingerbread ice cream from St Kilda’s Hannah.
- The fried brioche with meringue, passionfruit curd, chocolate chantilly and blueberries from the CBD’s The Hardware Societe.
- The ‘Croissant French Toast’ with white chocolate, passionfruit, strawberries, crushed meringue & vanilla mascarpone from Hawthorn’s Axil Coffee Roasters.
- The french toast with brûléed banana, candied hazelnuts, macerated berries, cinnamon & maple mascarpone from Richmond’s Tall Timber.
- The twice cooked brioche french toast with fresh banana, chocolate sauce, vanilla anglaise & macadamia nut praline at South Yarra’s Two Birds One Stone.
- The ‘Cinnamon Dusted Brioche’ with tonka bean creme pat, charred pineapple, maple roasted peanuts, strawberry gel and coffee caviar at Fitzroy’s Industry Beans.
- The ‘Sticky Date French Toast’ with date puree, vanilla ice cream, a brandy snap & butterscotch sauce from Kensington’s The Premises.
- The ‘Indian French Toast’ with Masala potato & tamarind stuffed bread pakora, green chili & mint chutney, & fried curry leave at Collingwood’s Proud Mary.
- The ‘Cheese French Toast’ with bacon, asparagus, green romesco, pickled jalapenos, cheese foam & cured egg yolk from Prahran’s Hobba.
- The ‘Twice Baked French Toast’ with creme patissiere, stewed apple & rhubarb, pistachio & baked pear from Abbotsford’s Three Bags Full.
- The ‘Nutella French Toast’ with caramelised banana, strawberries & roasted hazelnuts at Carlton’s Naughty Boy Cafe.
- The ‘PB & J French Toast’ with brioche, peanut butter ganache, rhubarb & mixed berry compote, coffee chocolate sauce & seasonal fruits at Carton’s Seven Seeds.
- The ‘Malaysia Kaya French Toast’ with brioche, homemade pandan coconut jam, brûléed banana, raspberry cream, coconut-salted candied walnut, pineapple curd & strawberries at Fitzroy’s Breakfast Thieves.
- The ‘Brioche French Toast’ with berries, toasted marshmallows, chocolate sauce, mascarpone & ice cream at Flemington’s Mama Bear.
- The 'Brulee French Toast' with Challah bread, maple crème brulee, and poached fruits from Elwood's A Girl Called Jayne.
Not into the sweat breakfast? Go for a staple, here are 50 of Melbourne's best smashed avo breakfasts.
Image credit: A Girl Called Jayne | Michelle Jarni