We’re now living in a world where loungewear is the new business casual and playing Club Penguin with our mates on a Saturday night is finally considered cool. And although we were initially stoked to catch up with our mates online, the novelty has started to wear off. Though restrictions are starting ease it looks like some physical distancing is here to stay, so we’re here to help you inject a little excitement back into your weekly virtual hangouts with the perfect aperitivo hour.
The best part? You can enter to win a spritz box here and get it delivered to your door, ready for your next virtual hangout.
Dial up your mates, pour yourself a spritz and get ready for aperitivo hour.
Choose Your Zoom Background
We’re trying to create the perfect aperitivo hour and that starts with an exotic Zoom background. We’re talking anything other than the view of your bedroom. Spice things up with a Zoom background of a secluded Italian beach, a vibrant sunset, or a coastal chic apartment. You can download these Zoom backgrounds here, set as your background, and voilà! Plus, they make the screengrabs of your hangout way more exciting and worthy of sharing to the ‘Gram.
Choose Your Playlist
Treat your crew to some sweet tunes as you kick back with your spritz in hand for aperitivo hour. It’s all about creating a vibe and that starts with the perfect playlist, so fire up these Sunset Sessions playlists that will make you feel like you’re at an exclusive beach club in Italy.
Prepare Your Drink
It wouldn’t be an aperitivo hour without an Aperol Spritz in hand so here’s your fail-proof guide to creating the perfect Italian drink.
- Italian Prosecco
- Soda Water
- Orange (Valencia is best)
- Fill a large wine glass—about 420ml with ice.
- Combine Italian Prosecco, followed by Aperol in equal parts.
- Add a splash of soda water.
- Garnish with an orange wedge.
Prepare Your Aperitivo Dish
The virtual Aperitivo is all about bringing people together over food and drinks so why not whip up some Italian ham and mozzarella croquettes to go with your virtual spritz, or try these other drool-worthy Italian recipes here.
- 500g desiree potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 50g Parmesan
- 50g pecorino
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 100g diced ham
- 200g cubed mozzarella
- 250g bread crumbs
- 500ml vegetable oil
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Leave to cool slightly, then peel and press through a ricer while still hot.
- When cool, transfer it to a large bowl and add the egg yolks, Parmesan, pecorino, parsley, ham, salt, pepper and mix to combine.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and form it into a long fat finger shape.
- Push a cube of mozzarella into the middle and close the mixture over.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place into the egg then into bread crumbs. Repeat till all complete.
- Heat a deep frying pan with vegetable oil; make sure the oil is not smoking. Cook the croquettes in batches, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Serve as they are or topped with grated Parmesan.
And voilà, hosting the perfect virtual aperitivo hour has never been easier. For more deliciously easy Italian recipes, dreamy Zoom filters, sunset playlists and the chance to win a spirtz delivery, head here. All you need to do is share a snap to the 'Gram of your virtual hangout with #Spritzat6 and tag @AperolSpritzAU for your chance to win a SpritzBox delivered to your house. See here for T&Cs.
Image Credit: Jess Rae King Instagram
Editor's note: Urban List editors independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. Urban List has affiliate partnerships, so we get revenue from your purchase.