This week saw the return of some normalcy and regular routine, with some people returning back to work, others from holidays, and the rest of us forced to surface from the weird transitional phase between Christmas and the new year. And as we finally polish off leftovers from the holiday period, these legends are hosting their own foodie festivities to ensure the dad bod lives on forever.
So, in case you’ve been refusing to face reality, here’s all the news you missed this week.
- Feel like catching a PNAU gig tonight? It's happening on the Fed Square car park rooftop, you can check out PNAU's announcement here. The first 500 people who arrive will get in, but that's it! It will, however, be live-streamed via the KFC Facebook page, so if you don't get in you've still got a shot to see it.
- Our favourite Italiano pals from Barilla will once again grace tennis fans at this year’s Australian Open with their pasta prowess by hosting a pop-up restaurant, giving visitors the chance to feast until their heart’s content. Choose from a selection of pasta from Penne to Spaghetti, to Casarecce and Linguine.
- Well, it looks like it’s official—gelato heavyweights Piccolina are finally settling the Pavlova debate that’s long been fought between Aussies and Kiwis. Announcing this week, the launch of their limited-edition Pavlova Trifle Gelato Cake to commemorate Australia Day (sorry Kiwis). The beastly creation features multiple layers of gelato, sorbet, passionfruit curd and shortbread crumble and looks so, so good. Piccolina is taking orders now for the $85 creation, which comes complete in a trifle bowl and custom cooler bag.
- Summer means sun, seafood and spritz, Aperol Spritz that is. For the entirety of January, Longsong is serving up $2 oysters and $10 spritzes from 5–7pm daily.
- If you’re feeling peckish at the tennis, the guys from Burger Project will be there to sort your cheeseburger fix. You can find them in the Grand Slam Oval for the two weeks.
- Good news for the gluten intolerant but beer lovin’ people out there, Dromana brewer Two Bays have just launched their new gluten-free pale ale cans. Following a successful launch of their taproom in December, gluten-free beer is a new venture for founding Head Brewer Andrew Gow (previously of Mountain Goat Brewery). The pale ale is brewed with millet, buckwheat and rice and is easy drinking (almost too easy if you ask us).
- If you’re looking for the perfect date, why not try your hand at making pasta? Lello Pasta Bar is holding a season of masterclasses where you can learn how to make pasta, as well as enjoy lunch and wine. Classes start at $150 per person, with discounts for multiple classes.
- Joining Barilla and Burger Project courtside at this year’s Australian Open will be Huxtaburger, who have created a limited-edition blue bunned burger, reminiscent of the courts themselves. They’re even offering a two-for-one special all day on Tuesday, January 15.
- It’s time to say TTYL to Zooper Doopers, with the launch of PAFU’s new designer ice pops at Box Hill Central. These boujee pops are nothing to be scoffed at, with seven flavours to choose from for just $3.90 each.
- Brace yourselves, Goldeluck’s Doughnuts are giving away 250 free doughnuts today only. To celebrate the opening of their Doncaster store, there will be two sessions of freebies, one at 12pm and one at 6pm for those to get in after work. Choose between Nutella, jam, nut, cinnamon and original, but be sure to RSVP and share the Facebook event in order to get your fingers on the delicious doughy rings.
- Southbank institution Rockpool Bar & Grill are hosting a pop-up restaurant in “The Berm” for the duration of the tennis. Be sure to book to get a spot here.
- In case you missed, The Ascot Lot put out a pug-lert earlier this week for their squishies and sangria party this Saturday where you can bring your squishy faced puppy to meet other adorable squishes. Even if you don’t have a furry baby yourself, this is the perfect opportunity to play with other people’s puppy’s faces.
- Watch the Australian Style in style at Canadian Club Racquet Club that’s returning again this year, serving up crisp cocktails along the banks of the Yarra river. Head to the launch at the Birrarung Marr upper terrace on Monday 14 January from 4pm.
- To celebrate their 10th birthday, HuTong Dumpling Bar is treating us to a free serve of their signature xiao long bao between 11:30am–12:30pm and 5:30pm–6:30pm every day from now until next Wednesday.
- It’s vegan week once again at Piccolina, which means you can basically eat as much gelato as you want without the usual stomach ache that comes from the dairy overload. This time you can choose between pistachio, peanut butter with chocolate cookie crumble, Bacio and lemon cheesecake.
Image credit: Annika Kafcaloudis