Queensland is a pretty enticing place. What, with our endless, beautiful beaches, eternal sunshine, and laidback vibes it’s pretty hard to imagine living anywhere else.
If you’ve just moved here, it’s okay—we get it, honestly. Heck, we’ve been here our whole lives!
Something changes when you move here though: you’re relaxed, tanned, and are suddenly okay with hitting the beach in June. Here’s a list of everything that will happen when you move to Queensland.
1. People will say “togs” and you will have NFI what they’re talking about.
2. Likewise, with potato scallop.
3. Oh, and joggers.
4. You’ll think hitting the beach in June is totally normal.
5. After about 6 months you’ll scoff at the newbies who swim in June.
6. You’ll plan your grocery shopping around nothing—and we mean nothing—being open after 9pm.
7. State of Origin will actually matter to you.
8. You’ll fall about 6 months behind the trends.
9. Shoes will become optional for your trip to the shops.
10. Curlews will sound like babies crying at first, but they’re just some freaky looking birds.
11. The Gold Coast will seem like a less tacky strip of fake tan and glitter, and more of an unexplored treasure trove of hidden eateries, hipster coffee spots, and secret beaches.
12. Daylight savings will (unfortunately) be a thing of the past.
13. Tawny Frogmouths will scare the sh*t out of you at least once (spoiler alert: they’re not owls).
14. You’ll develop a soft spot for Queenslander houses and their ingenious design.
15. The end of the Coast you live at will define you.
16. We get tropical fruit pretty much all year round here.
17. The Hinterland is just (if not more!) as beautiful as the Coast.
18. Swimming isn’t always an option thanks to stingers and crocs.
19. The North is reaaaallllyy far from the South.
20. But, day tripping it to islands is the norm.
21. Snakes are everywhere.
22. You will stand on a cane toad when you take the bins out. Every time.
23. Humidity hits way, way harder than the heat.
24. Things will get mouldy and there will be sand everywhere.
25. Summer is rainy as hell.
26. The Ibis are in charge.
27. “We Love You Queensland” will be stuck in your head at all times.
28. Icey poles are actually called ice blocks here.
29. Deadly doesn’t actually mean deadly, it means cool AF.
Love Queensland? You’ll love it even more when you check out the most beautiful camping spots.
Image Credit: Australian Traveller