We can’t think of many better ways to warm up this winter than by filling your belly full of delicious curry. Smooth and creamy or hot and spicy; delicious with naan, rice, noodles, veggies, or — let’s be real — all of the above; it’s clear that the original creators of the curry bestowed upon us a gift that was meant to keep on giving.
We’ve already brought you the best of various Asian cuisines, so now, we’ve handpicked the best curries from all of those — Thai, Indian and Japanese. Without further ado, we present to you the best curries on the Sunshine Coast.
- Sunshine Coasters from all over flock to Curry Bowl, and for good reason. Our fave is the chicken lahori – succulent pieces of chicken cooked with ground cashew nuts and ginger, soaking in a spinach-y creamy sauce. It’s also BYO…
- Peregian locals will tell you that Siam Spicy Thai is the real deal and have no doubt raved about their massaman beef. This creamy coconut curry is served with veggies and roasted peanuts and is downright delish.
- Thai Frenzy is a bustling little joint in Buderim serving some of the most authentic Thai on the Sunshine Coast. Get their frenzy duck curry into your hot little hands ASAP.
- If you have not yet experienced the magical dwelling that is the Spirit House, prepare to be amazed. An award-winning destination for all things Asian, their northern style pork belly curry, with peanuts, shallots and ginger, is a standout.
- It wouldn’t be a list of the best curries on the Sunshine Coast if a classic red curry didn’t make the list! Thai Lotus in Mooloolaba fry up a mean red curry, with the perfect ratio of meat to veg to sauce.
- Fish fiends, Corbins in Maroochydore make a fab yellow curry with steamed snapper. Make this your next date night spot.
- Vegos, we haven’t forgotten about you! If you haven’t already, get yo’ ass down to Sakana at the Mooloolaba Spit and tuck in to their vegetable curry, so good it will make meat-fiends drool.
- We’re a sucker for the sweet, salty, peanutty deliciousness that constitutes penang curry – the sweet folk from Phon's Thai in Minyama know how it’s done.
- You might've heard about Bao Down's epic dessert baos but their massaman is also worth driving for.
- Looking to treat someone spesh but still satisfy your Asian cravings? Truly spoil them (and yourself!) with a trip to The Tamarind in Maleny and be sure to try the sour orange curry. It’s a southern style Thai curry with white fish, local prawns, crisp soft shell crab, with oyster mushrooms, steamed papaya and Asian greens...she’s a beaut!
- A trip to Rangoli’s is guaranteed to satisfy your curry cravings at any given time. Tuck into their chicken saagwala, although we warn you, you’ll never want to eat anything else. Soak up the creamy spinach sauce with a garlic naan and you can die happy.
- Daawat Indian Restaurant in Maleny claims to have the best butter chicken in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, and we have to say, we can’t fault it! Head for the hills and give it a go...you won’t be disappointed.
- We know that locals often trek to Sukhothai in Maleny when they’re in need of a decent Thai fix. With a choice of chook, pork, beef, lamb or seafood, their green curry is tangy, fresh and all sorts of scrumptious.
- Another BYO fave of ours, you can’t get much better value for money than at Thai Mangoes in Maroochydore. Any of their curries will do the trick, and with an $11 lunch special, you’re practically saving money.
- If there’s one thing that cures a hangover faster than you can say ‘Feed me’, it’s a Japanese katsu curry from IKKO Japanese Kitchen. That being said, it should be noted that this charming Japanese eatery is worthy of a visit any time.
- With an intimate atmosphere, as well as epic authentic cuisine, the Blue Orchid sure is hard to beat! The beef rendang, cooked for 15 hours, literally melts in your mouth.
- For something a little different, try the jungle curry from Thai Square in Noosa – with no coconut milk, this curry is spicy and full of flavour.
- We can’t go past the Japanese curries from Sushi Yah Man in Noosa Junction. While they’re only on the dinner menu, it’s totally worth holding out ‘til 5pm for the crunchy chicken curry, trust us!
Massive Asian fan? Conquer our list of the Sunshine Coast's ultimate Asian eats bucket list. Go on, we dare ya!
Image credit: Amy Higg | Bao Down