We all know the only way to get through a chilly Queensland winter is to put on weight by eating our fave hearty foods in autumn. Right?
Smoothies, salads, acai bowls are great—really, they are—but when we actually get to wear jeans or comfy pants with a drawstring waist for a couple of months, well, what can we say except that our tastebuds change with our wardrobe.
When autumn and winter rock around, it’s a known fact that everybody is granted a hall pass from being healthy to indulge in the food that warms us up from the inside.
We know you’re feeling us, so we’ve rounded up 11 #cheatday eats you need to try, stat.
1. Loaded Pepperoni Pizza Fries—It sounds like a creation made by the God of Deliciously Bad But Oh-So-Good Food. Much like the name suggests, you’ll get a tray of fries, topped with pepperoni and melted cheese, and sprinkled with oregano. More power to ya, Decisions Cafe.
2. Crispy Fried Gunpowder Chicken Ribs—Anything on Junk’s menu deserves a standing ovation, but when it comes to something warming and golden and deliciously worthy of breaking whatever diet you’re on this week, you’d be crazy to go past this dish, complete with tamarind chutney and coriander yoghurt.
3. The Dreamtime Burger—Bigger is always better with Good Bar’s special burger. Changing monthly, these stacked-high works of art are short-lived so you’ve gotta get in fast. This time around, the Dreamtime is piled with beef, bacon, mozzarella sticks, a Mac & Cheese patty, pickles, jack cheese and a whole bunch of other stuff. So tasty it hurts.
4. Flammekueche—Don’t worry if you can’t pronounce the name because by the end of polishing of this moreish pizza-like dish at Periwinkle in Peregian Beach, it’ll become part of your #cheatday vocab. Topped with smoked bacon, shallots and crème fraiche, it’s heaven on a plate.
5. Beef Brisket—If you’re going to break the diet, may as well go all out with Black Bunny Kitchen’s drool-worthy beef brisket paired with pickled slaw, okra spears (our fave), and cauliflower bread. You’ll be rolling out of there.
6. One Kilo Prime Rib—Big eaters, this one is for you! Find a fat feeds compadre, and make a beeline for Wood Fire Grill and their 1KG prime rib served with charred greens and a garlic crème fraiche.
7. Katsu Curry—Ikko Japanese in Maroochydore are such pros at making this damn delicious curry, you’ll get down and out halfway through when you realise the fun is nearly over. Crumbed chicken and an in-house sauce make this one of the best Asian eats on the Sunshine Coast. Just sayin’.
8. Loaded Shakes—Old-fashioned shakes have gone next-level at The Nines, so if you’d rather your dish of naughtiness be in a liquid form we can totally vouch for these mammoth creations.
9. Local Brekkie Board—Want a little bit of everything for breakfast? The Local Brekkie Board at Hungry Feel is a smorgasbord of morning eats like Kenilworth free range scrambled eggs, Bendele organic duck “ham”, SCB porter bread, Palmwoods mushrooms, Cedar Street haloumi and “Food Street” salad.
10. Injectable Doughnuts—If you haven’t yet ventured into injectables, you’ve been missing out BIG time. Popping up at markets across the Sunshine Coast, Donut Kitchen serves up just-made cinnamon doughnuts pumped with your choice of filling—we think it’s a three-way tie between the salted caramel, Nutella, and lemon curd. So good you won’t be able to stop at one. But hey, YOLO!
11. American Hot Dogs—What’s a #cheatday list without a hotdog, we hear you say? Our thoughts exactly! Which is why a visit to Village Bicycle—to scoff their American Hot Dog stuffed with ball park frank, ketchup, mustard, pickled jalapenos and onions—is an absolute must. You can thank us later!
Got a sweet tooth? Work your way through our bucket list of the best desserts on the Sunshine Coast.
Image Credit: Amy Higg for Metropolist