We’re always looking for new and exciting excuses to drink [in moderation] here at The Urban List, and thankfully now that the weather is taking a sharp hairpin turn towards flu season, we can start unboxing the deep chest of cold-weather specific beverages that make frozen windscreens and bathroom runs in the middle of the night that little bit more tolerable.
Here’s how to make mulled wine at home.
- 20 cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 2 roughly grated whole nutmegs
- 4 cups of water
- 1 vanilla pod
- Roughly grated rind of 1 lemon
- Roughly grated rind of 1 lime
- Roughly grated rind of 2 oranges
- 2 apples, roughly chopped (skin on)
- 1.5 litres of red wine
- Head onto Google and check if Cassie Sainsbury has submitted a confession to the Daily Mail yet. Get distracted by Bindi Irwin’s latest unexplicit pregnancy announcement to almost-definitely-soon-to-be fiance, Chandler.
- Head to the shops to pick up all your ingredients. Contemplate Cadbury’s latest ‘Strawberry Spider’ block of choc flavour, decide on Marvellous creations instead because that popping candy sh*t’s the bomb.
- Head home and wipe the Crunchy nut flakes off the bench. Heat cloves, cinnamon, caster sugar, nutmeg, water, all fruit rinds and apple in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Quickly send a photo of all the fruit to your mum so she thinks you have your life together.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and add it to pan, then stir in enough wine to cover the sugar. Have a quick chug-a-lug yourself to make sure the wine has been fermented correctly. Check again because, like your resume says, you pride yourself on your strong attention to detail.
- Bring your fruity concoction to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for ten minnies until the mixture becomes syrup-y.
- Add the remaining red wine and simmer for another five minutes then remove from heat, strain and divide among serving glasses (let’s be real, it’s Tuesday night and it’s just you at home watching repeats of Homeland). Instagram a pic of you on the couch with the hashtag #itsjsutahotMilomum
Want to make something else? Try this deliciously warm chocolate mug cake.
Image credit: Gabby Bjorklund for The Urban List