Granola is one of those long-time breakfast staples that will never lead you astray. It’s delicious, healthy and wonderfully filling (no embarrassingly loud 10am stomach rumbles for you!). Yep, there’s no reason not to love our go-to breakfast buddy, granola.
Jacqui Ektoros, Head Chef at one of Sydney’s best cafes, Devon Café, understands our love of granola, so we had a chat with her to talk café life and the awesomeness that is this brekkie classic. We even managed to get our hands on a very special recipe created by Jacqui herself using Carman’s Café Granola so you can make it at home!
Oh, and there's even an awesome thing called The Breakfast Club where you can head into Devon Cafe from now until the end of November to get your bellies full of the extra fancy granola dish Jacqui has created.
What is it about the cafe breakfast experience that is so special?
It’s taking out time at the start of the day, to really relax and enjoy a great breakfast. Instead of standard Vegemite toast, you can try some really creative brekkie options.
So why have you decided to partner with Carman’s to create a bespoke breakfast recipe?
I love taking traditional breakfast ideas and changing them up, so working with Carman’s to create a unique take on granola was a great way to get kooky.
What excites you about Carman’s Cafe Granola?
Carman’s Cafe Granola combines lots of delicious flavours and a good crunchy texture.
Tell us a bit about your Carman’s Cafe granola recipe.
I wanted to create something that would have a different blend of textures, while showing off the flavours of the ingredients. The crunch of the granola and its mix of almond, pecan and maple goes really well with the sweetened honey and vanilla yoghurt. Peaches are served fresh and poached, to enhance the sweetness and also to add a tart flavour. And the freeze-dried pineapple and strawberry are a little different from your everyday brekkie!
The Breakfast Club
Until 29th November, head into Devon Café in Surry Hills to try the very special Carman’s Café Granola recipe that Jacqui Ektoros lovingly created as part of their Breakfast Club. This granola involves so much more than just adding milk (although that’s not a bad thing either) and you'd do well to put this on your brekkie to-do list this November!
- What: The Breakfast Club
- Where: Devon Cafe, Surry Hills
- When: Daily until 29th November
- What to order: Peaches 'N Dream Granola by Jacqui Ektoros
We have been lucky enough to score the recipe for Devon Café’s limited edition Carman’s Café Granola recipe so you can attempt to make a bowl of this bad boy at home. Created by Devon Café’s head chef (and pastry whiz), Jacqui Ektoros, Peaches ‘N Dream is tasty sounding recipe that’s made with Carman’s Almond, Pecan & Maple Café Granola, vanilla and honey-spiced yoghurt, poached peach, freeze-dried strawberries and pineapple, and honeycomb. Ummm, yum?!
Peaches ‘N Dream Granola Recipe
This recipe is best prepared one day before serving.
- 120g Carman’s Almond, Pecan, Maple Café Granola
- 1 medium peach
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 200g caster sugar
- 500mL water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 60g pure Australian honey
- Freeze-dried strawberries
- Freeze-dried pineapple
- Honeycomb, to serve
- Fresh edible flowers, to serve
- Medium bowl
- Cheesecloth, muslin cloth or coffee filter
- Place the strainer in the bowl with cheesecloth over the top. Add the yoghurt and place in the fridge to strain overnight.
- The following day, split the vanilla bean and using the back of a knife, scrape the vanilla pod and add the beans to the strained yoghurt. Reserve the pod.
- Add honey to the yoghurt, and mix until combined. More honey can be added to taste. Set the yoghurt mixture aside.
- Place the water and caster sugar in a medium pot. Add the vanilla pod and bring to the boil.
- Cut the peach in half and add half of the peach to the sugar mix. Simmer for 5-6 minutes until just softened and al dente in texture.
- Remove the peach from the water and place in the fridge to cool.
- Thinly slice the remaining peach and set aside.
- Place your Carman’s Café Granola in a bowl and top with poached peach and a spoonful of the yoghurt. More layers can be added if desired.
- Top with the fresh, sliced peach, and crumble the freeze-dried strawberries and pineapple. Add the honeycomb and finish with edible flowers.
Editor's Note: This article is proudly sponsored by Carman's and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Carman's