Just because the Queen Victoria Christmas market begins this week, it doesn’t mean you have to listen to Christmas music on a loop (I’m looking at you, strange passenger on this morning’s tram).
It’s still November and there are plenty of things to do that don’t involve white synthetic beards and Santa hats. So put festive cheer at the back of your mind for a moment and let's dive into all the delicious news you’ve missed in Melbourne this week.
- Sometimes, you just need to fill the dumpling-sized hole in your heart (and your stomach) with all-you-can-eat dumplings from Shu. (It’s our end-of-the-week survival strategy this week.)
- Can you even remember the last time you had a picnic? (Probably not, because preparing and packing stuff ahead of time is way too much work.) Neptune’s making picnics easy by offering ready-made picnic hampers packed with fresh sandwiches, cheese, house-made jam & pickles, tinned seafood & a bottle of Neptune’s fave vino. So all you need to organise is a blanket, a pair of sunnies, and a patch of grass.
- If you’re looking for something with more sustenance than picnic hampers, Neptune also just launched a new food menu that you'll need to check out soon.
- Wings of Glory are celebrating their third birthday with 30c chicken wings on Saturday. That’s $3 for 10 of their mouth-watering wings, which is a great opportunity to sample flavours like Bees Knees Honey, Chilli Fal Mango, Kapow Sichuan. (Or just, you know, eat them all. Simultaneously.)
- Meat lovers, rejoice. Get a chance to meet Anthony Puharich at Kisumé for the launch of his new book ‘MEAT’ and dine on a four-course lunch of an all-beef specially curated menu designed by Kisumé’s Japanese master chefs.
- If your dog is cute, or really talented at something, it’s time to capitalise on it with some ribbons. This weekend, Dog Photog is hosting a Best In Show pop-up contest where your furry companion could be crowned ‘Nicest Kisser,’ ‘Most Stinky,’ or even ‘Best in Show’.
- If you’re in a sharing mood this festive season, Pentolina is offering celebratory Christmas banquets for families and large groups. Dive into platters of fresh house-made pasta served “family-style”. But if you’re not into sharing your food, don’t worry: you can gorge yourself on a variety of separate mains, small bites, and desserts.
- Yes, the Queen Victoria Christmas Market kicks off this week. Pop in for some live entertainment, sustainable gift-making workshops, a Christmas trail for kids, Santa’s mailbox, and all sorts of other Christmas-related activities that’ll get you in the Christmas spirit way. too. early.
- If you’re looking for an end-of-spring treat, Lenny just rolled out a new spring menu that’s a perfect mix of healthy and delicious options. (Although the Duck & Waffle might be a bit more on the delicious than the healthy side.)
- If you’ve got family visiting and have no idea where to take them for brunch, we’ve got you covered. The Crown’s Merrywell Bar and Dining has just launched a two-course Bottomless Lunch, where you can enjoy a selection of sharing dishes for just $60 per person. (Also, did we mention they offer two hours of flowing drinks? Sunday mimosas, here we come!)
- Beaumaris store Rack n Ruin is running a tasting of Pinkster's Chrismas Pudding Gin this Saturday from 2pm, head in store and check it out.
Image credit: Pentolina | Jenna Fahey-White