When it’s too hot to do anything (including lounging on the beach), do cocktails. These alcoholic bevvies will cool you down after a couple of sips and remind you that summer time is a good time.
We’ve done the hard yards and sipped our way around Auckland. The result? Fifteen refreshing cocktails to get your hands on this summer. From fancy gin creations to the classic Aperol Spritz, here are the best summer cocktails in Auckland. Get sippin’!
- Dumplings and cocktails are a match made in heaven. We’re digging Xuxu’s Rosemary Margarita with Arette Blanco, PF Curacao, plum wine, fresh lime, rosemary and chilli salt. Expect all the heat and all the zing.
- Situated on the waterfront, The Conservatory is all about creative cocktails. Our fave refreshing cocktail is the Honey Dew, shaken up with coconut, melon, raspberry, pineapple and a hint of lime—yum!
- Head to Bedford Soda & Liquor for a mighty fine Strawberry Americano. Boasting campari, sweet vermouth and spiced strawberry shrub, it's the perf companion to those meatballs.
- Trust the unforgettable Talulah to give Auckland's cocktail scene a run for its money. The Pandanacolda kicks the usual pina colada to the kerb, featuring coconut-infused dark rum, coconut milk, pandan syrup, pineapple, banana and black tea bitters. Hell yeeeees.
- You can’t beat a classic Espresso Martini. Ponsonby Road hot spot Prego is all about the martini and pizza life on a sunny arvo.
- Auckland’s grooviest rooftop bar Dr Rudi’s has a lot going on (hellooo, bowling alley) but it’s the cocktails you’ll want on a hot day. We’re loving the Long Summer made with white rum, fresh lime, deremara sugar, home-made berry coulis, fresh mint and sparkling wine.
- Soul Bar knows what’s up when it comes to a stellar summer cocktail. Grab a table on their sunny porch and sip on a Snake In The Grass—yellow chartreuse, gin, cucumber juice, coriander, lime, gomme and orange bitters.
- At Mix, the Causeway Bay tastes as good as it looks. Modelled to resemble a lychee, the perky pink base features raspberry soda water topped with lychee liqueur, rum, and ginger.
- Get your hands on the Tiki Mule from MR TOMS. This bad boy is your new mid-week vacay repping St. Germain, mango vodka, sparkling peach, lemon, mint, tiki bitters and sugar.
- Soak in the waterfront vibes at SEVEN with a Penang punch in hand. It’s a delicious sweet treat of pineapple-infused rum, pineapple soju and Guang's pineapple beer. Yes please!
- You haven’t lived until you’ve tried a Ryan Sozzling (teehee). This cocktail from Saan involves salt and pepper ice, grapefruit tonic and tequila. Reow.
- The Culpeper’s list of ‘Complete Herbal Remedies’ is impressive but we suggest you quench your thirst with the Peach Tree. Tanqueray, elderflower, peach liquor and fresh peach—need we say more?
- Keep things simple with a Pisco Sour at Madame George. Pair it with a prawn roll and you’ve got yourself one heck of a happy hour
- Everyone knows that cocktails by the dozen is a good idea. Gather your crew and head to The Garden Shed in Mt Eden for a mojito or five.
- Epic food aside, Madam Woo shakes up really good cocktails. Our pick? The Asia Classic made with kaffir lime gin, apricot liqueur, orange bitters, lemon and sugar. We’ll take two, thanks.
- 9 Auckland Rooftop Bars You’ll Be Drinking At This Summer
- 3 Ice Cream Cocktail Recipes You Need This Summer
- Ice Block Cocktails Are A Thing And Here’s Where To Get Them
Image credit: Jaiden Bhaga, Bedford Soda & Liqour