While we certainly don't need an excuse to enjoy a cocktail or two, we won't say no to another reason to drink.
To celebrate World Cocktail Day this year, we had a chat with a few Perth bartenders so you can recreate your favourite Perth cocktails at home.
The Guildford Hotel's Peach Pimms Sangria
- 150ml sauvignon blanc
- 30ml Monin peach purée
- 30ml Pimms
- Top with dry ginger ale
- To garnish: peach slices, mint leaves and/or lemon clices
- Add garnish fruit to glass or jug.
- Add wine, peach puree and Pimms.
- Add ice and stir.
- Top with ginger ale.
Goody Two’s KINOKO
- 40ml Japanese whisky
- 15ml Amaro Montenegro
- 14ml Sansho spiced honey (honey, sansho pepper, clove, star anise, orange peel)
- 1/2 a fresh passionfruit
- Top with lemon ginger kombucha
- To garnish: rosemary sprig and star anise
- In a highball glass, build the whisky, amaro, honey and passionfruit.
- Add ice and stir the ingredients, pouring in the Kombucha as you stir.
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig and a torched star anise.
ARK Group's Rattlesnake Cocktail
- 60ml bourbon or rye (We used Woodford Reserve)
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup
- 5 dashes of Pernod Absinthe
- 1 whole egg white
- To garnish: lemon twist and a dash of bitters
- Shake everything in a cocktail shaker and shake without egg for five seconds to emulsify the egg white.
- Shake with ice for 8-10 seconds and then strain over ice (a big block if you can).
- Garnish with a lemon twist and a dash of bitters.
Palace Arcade's Rocket Juice
- 100ml banana and coconut cold brew (recipe for this below)
- 30ml Olorosso sherry
- 20ml Frangelico
- The night before, make the banana and coconut cold brew.
- Pour all ingredients into highball glass.
- Fill to the top with ice.
Banana And Coconut Cold Brew
- Pulse 200g of good quality coffee beans in a blender until no whole beans remain (if you have a coffee grinder, use this on a coarse grind).
- Put into container with a handful of dried banana chips and 1L of coconut water.
- Let sit overnight or for 12 hours.
- Strain using a muslin cloth or a super fine sieve.
Long Chim's Black Rice
- 50ml gin
- 30ml black rice cordial
- 10ml lime juice
- 1 egg white
- To garnish: star anise
- Shake everything together and pour into a glass.
- Garnish with star anise.
Want more? Check out Goody Two's pork and kimchi dumpling recipe.
Image credit: Elle Borgward