The Valentine’s Day specials might be over but the Perth food news is still coming in hot. We’ve got cheeseburger chugging contests, chicken wing challenges and a new beer to quench your thirst.
Here’s all the Perth food news you missed this week.
- Another week, another new beer but this time it’s from the legends at Black Brewing Co. The Blackberry Gose launches on 27 February and word on the street is that it tastes like salty Australian summer in a glass thanks to the addition of Himalayan salt during the boil. The brew will be launched next weekend with tastings at retailers including Old Bridge Cellars, Scarborough Cellars and Mane Liquor, as well as bar shouts at The Federal Hotel, Mrs Browns Bar, The Royal Hotel, Percy Flint, Mechanics Institute and more. Check out the individual venues for all the details.
- The Guildford Hotel is back at their BBQ masterclasses so if you’ve been looking to hone your skills, now’s the time. Each session centres around a different meat plus paired drinks. Take your pick from chicken and vino, ribs and red, brisket and bourbon or bangers and brew, then sit back and feast while you learn the tricks of the trade. Book via the website.
- This is the one you’ve all been waiting for; a cheeseburger chugging contest. If you think you’re up for the challenge, you’ll get 30 minutes to see how many cheeseburgers you can smash and the winner will take home a whopping $500 cash. And they’re not any old cheeseburgers, they are big juicy 150gram char-grilled patties in a brioche bun with cheese, pickles and ketchup, of course. It kicks off on Saturday 21 March, but that’s just round 1 of 6. Register by 28 February or you might just miss out.
- Whiskey lovers, listen up. Varnish on King has teamed up with Whipper Snapper to bring you one heck of a whiskey-fuelled feast. You’ll taste three whiskies made from local WA grains while getting a quick rundown on the whiskey making process at the Whipper Snapper distillery before heading over to Varnish for a drink or two along with a serious feed. Think bourbon maple chicken wings, Berkshire pork chops, black onyx beef brisket and their famous mac n’ cheese. It’s all going down on Saturday 29 February, grab your tickets here.
- If you’re more into plum wine than whiskey, Perth’s first Kajitsu-Shu Festival might be more up your alley. Hosted by one of our favourite Japanese restaurants, Kajitsu-Shu is a celebration of all things fruity from plum wine (umeshu) to yuzu, kiwi and peach liqueurs. There will, of course, also be plenty of delicious eats to line your belly with, so grab yourself a ticket for either Saturday 4 April or Sunday 5 April now.
- In case you missed it, The Aviary is kicking off breakfast in bed (a day bed, that is) with pancake grazing boards and bottomless mimosas this weekend. You don’t want to miss this.
- To round out this week’s Perth food news, we’ve got wind of a Roulette Wing Challenge that you might want to take note of. You’ll get 10 minutes to smash as many wings as you can handle, and they may or may not throw in a couple of spicy habanero wings to get you sweating, so watch out. It’s happening at all three of The Sporting Globe venues across WA and the winner will get free wings for the remainder of 2020. So worth it.
Want to keep up to date with all of Perth’s best food? Check out our Food & Drink section.
Image credit: Ariana Gillrie