Okay, so we don't exactly have the same hibernation-inducing winters as some other cities, but everything's relative, right? Even when the winter temps hover in the mid-teens, we Brisbanites embrace hot chocolates, trackpants and UberEATS, and herald the return of spring as if we'd been unable to move outside for months.
Well, now it's the season of blossoms, warm breezes, bike rides and new sandals, so we've teamed up with our friends at CityCycle to bring you 50 of the best things to do in Brisbane now spring is finally here.
To get around to them all, we're loving the fact that once signed up to CityCycle, each bike hire is completely free for trips under 30 minutes, for the miniscule fee of $5 a month (yep, $5) or $3 for students, and you can ride them as much as you want! Not to mention, there are 150 stations to pick the bikes up from across Brisbane (check them all out here), which is actually absolute genius when there's so much #springspiration around.
Read on to get your springtime sorted!
1. Get a head start on your summer with a spray tan from BRONZ’D.
2. Support disadvantaged members of the community with a cuppa Joe from Cup from Above.
3. See the first Australian exhibition of paintings by Gerhard Richter at GOMA (14 October-14 February).
4. Afterwards, head a few metres up the road for epic coffee and inventive eats at sleek café Gauge.
5. Grab a bike from a CityCycle terminal and take a sun-soaked cycle along the Riverwalk.
6. Design your very own custom new-season lippie shade at The Lip Lab.
7. Pick up some new-season produce at Jan Powers City Famers Market.
8. Find your zen at a revitalising yoga sesh with your bestie at SoHo Yoga Fortitude Valley.
9. Spend October lying underneath splendiferously purple jacaranda trees at Kangaroo Point, New Farm Park, UQ or the City Botanic Gardens.
10. Feast on a $30 three-course Italian lunch at Bucci while you people-watch out to James Street.
11. Grab a wholesome, nourishing meal from new CBD café Frankie & George.
12. Tidy up those brows at Brooklyn Beauty Bar.
13. Pick up a bunch of ethically-sourced, local spring blooms at Wilde Flora.
14. Change up your specs for spring at 2020 Optical’s new Brisbane Arcade concept store.
15. Take a CityCycle bike tour through the City Botanic Gardens and see how many plants you can identify with new Shazam-like app, PlantNet.
16. Stop in to Chester Street Bakery for a spring-inspired rainbow layer cake.
17. Enjoy an acai bowl adorned with edible flowers at Miss Bliss Wholefoods Kitchen.
18. Spring clean your wardrobe and donate a bag of clothes to the RSPCA Op Shop in New Farm.
19. Catch a Sunday arvo music jam at Livespark music at Brisbane Powerhouse.
20. Write someone a letter on beautiful stationery from The Paper Empire and send it via snail mail.
21. Window shop for spring wardrobe updates on James Street.
22. Indulge in everything cheese at new fromagerie The Cheese Pleaser.
23. Refresh your cute succulents and baby cacti collection at Mappins Nursery & Aquarium.
24. Stop in for the Bekaa wings at Gerard’s Bistro–epic smokey chicken adorned with rose petals for those springtime feels.
25. Switch up your spring makeup look with a beauty splurge at Mecca.
26. Pick up some next-level gourmet treats from Jocelyn’s Provisions.
27. Search for a fabulous spring racing outfit in the city.
28. Feel fancy AF with a rooftop high tea at Sazerac.
29. Get your Asian street food fix at Happy Boy’s brand-spankin’ new Fortitude Valley location.
30. Take your pick of gorgeous takeaway salads at Botanica (and a cheeky bundt cake for afterwards).
31. Have the classic all-American burger experience at Johnny Rockets.
32. Treat yourself with some new shiny new jewels at James Street’s By Baby.
33. Use a CityCycle to ride from Kangaroo Point, under the Story Bridge and along Kangaroo Point Bikeway for a new perspective on the city.
34. Throw down a picnic rug in New Farm Park.
35. Have a hole lotta fun at Holey Moley mini-golf course.
36. Enjoy charcuterie on the lawn at Cribb Street Social.
37. Colour your life with light, chewy macarons from Chouquette.
38. Head to the Gladiators: Heroes of the Colosseum exhibition at Queensland Museum for the ultimate spring bod #fitspo.
39. Challenge your spring fitness the fun way with the 16km Mini Brisbane River Loop on a CityCycle bike.
40. Treat yourself to a (slightly) healthier baked doughnut at Nodo.
41. Stop into Yuzu & Co for next-level sushi and Japanese burgers.
42. Bliss out in Roma Street Parkland at the Spectacle Garden, the rainforest and Fern Gully.
43. Take in performances by students of EQ School of Music at the Sunday Concert Series at Customs House.
44. Lunch on locally-grown produce at the rustic Plenty café in West End.
45. Get a fresh new take on the best city in the world from the Brisbane Wheel.
46. Kick-start your spring detox with a green juice from Evolve.
47. Be in awe of Brisbane Festival’s surreal “Fantastic Planet” light installation at South Bank Parklands.
48. Switch off from the world with a float at Flow AU.
49. Feel the spring breeze on the huge outdoor deck of New Farm café The Brunswick Project.
50. Indulge your inner coffee snob with an impeccable java juice from The Single Guys Coffee Co’s new CBD locale.
Image credit: Hayley Williamson / Jason Starr
Editor's Note: This article is proudly sponsored by CityCycle and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.