The key to surviving the summer heat waves is keeping your blinds drawn, wearing breathable materials and consuming enough alcohol that you pass out and can no longer consciously feel the heat.
We don’t encourage binge drinking here at The Urban List, however, binge eating is a well-worn path for many of us and when sprinkled with a frozen layer of your favourite summer bev, it is one helluva slippery slope. Enter: the Pimm’s Alco-Pop.
So here’s a recipe we’ve whipped up to help fight those summer sweats.
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup ginger syrup (hold up, we’ll get to this later)
- 1/4 cup Pimm's
- 1 cucumber
- 200g strawberries
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Popsicle moulds
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced ginger, peeled
What To Do
- Go to the shops and spend all your precious party pie money on fruit and garnishes (you’ve changed, Felicia).
- Swing by the bottle-o for a bottle-a Pimm’s. Spend any left over dollarydoos on a $5 bottle of savvy b from the bargain bin, because you haven’t changed that much.
- Go back to your house, quickly wipe all the milo crumbs of the kitchen bench and then thinly slice the cucumber and hull and quarter the strawbs.
- Prepare the ginger syrup by combining the water, sugar and ginger in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat once the sugar is dissolved and allow the ginger to steep for an hour until the mixture is at room temperature, then chill until ready to use.
- Mix together the lemon juice, lime juice, water, ginger syrup and Pimm's in a bowl.
- Add a mixture of sliced cucumbers, strawberries and fresh mint into each popsicle mould.
- Fill the popsicle moulds with the Pimm's mixture.
- Insert a wooden stick into each mould, preferably centred; get your housemate/friend/dog to do it if all the out-of-date savvy b has given you the wine shakes.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours until solid.
Bada bing, bada boom, you’ve just made casual alcoholism trendy—celebrate with 6 Pimm’s alco-pops.
Image credit: Gabby Stjernqvist for The Urban List