It’s the weekend of your beer (and cider)-drinking, food-scoffing, rocking-out dreams: two whole days devoted to celebrating our city’s love for a good brew and delicious food to match, against a backdrop of one of the best live music lineups around.
Now in its fourth year, the 2017 Beer InCider Experience is a food and drink festival that showcases only independent breweries for a beer and cider lover's heaven. Descending on Brisbane for the fourth time on Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd September, Beer InCider is now a bit of a Brissie spring institution, and for good reason(s)! Here are our top picks why this year is the most unmissable yet:
1. Whether you’re a rookie or a veteran, Beer InCider will be a whole new experience for 2017. The festival’s gone next-level with its brand new and much bigger home at Brisbane Showgrounds—AKA much, much more space for beer, cider, food, music, games and good vibes.
2. All. Of. The. Beer. We’re talking over 300 beer and ciders, from 53 independent breweries. Grab yourself a paddle on your way in and fill ‘er up with 100ml tasters, or sip on pots or cans of each brew, and have a yarn to the brewers while you’re at it. 300 beers sounds like a lot to work your way through, but with one ticket getting you entry for both days, you can give it a red-hot go.
3. But wait, there’s more! This year you can get your mitts on beers brewed exclusively for Beer InCider, from Wrong Side Brewing, Aether Brewing, Ballistic Brewing, KAIJU! and Brouhaha Brewery; and we’re frothing on the badass collab between Beer InCider, Green Beacon and Ball Park Music: Sad Rude Future Brew (a lot more uplifting than it sounds).
4. There’ll be no problem lasting the distance, with drinking on an empty stomach not even an option. Over 18 food trucks, like Mac From Way Back, Micasa Food Truck, Gnocchi Gnocchi Brothers, Fiery Deli, Pizzantica, This Little Piggie, Catch & Kiss Seafood, Abbiocco Food Truck, Kraut n About, Brat Haus, Gluten Free Donuts, Wing Fix, The Cheeseboard, and Ribs & Chips will all be there, slinging their tasty, stomach-lining eats.
5. You’re completely spoiled for choice tunes-wise, with an epic headline line-up that’s up there with the best music festivals around. Picture Ball Park Music, City Calm Down, Cub Sport, Butterfingers, The Hard Aches, Darren Middleton of Powderfinger, Machine Age, Hazlett and West Texas Crude providing the soundtrack to your fave food and drink fest.
6. It might be a beer and cider event, but if frothies aren’t your jam, you can sip bubbles of a different kind in the form of Zing Prosecco or a passionfruit caprioska, along with Vineaceous Wine, or even a cheeky espresso martini to keep you going. Order a cheeseboard and pretend you’re having a semi-civilised conversation.
7. Up for something even more out of the box? Brookvale Union’s super popular Ginger Beer from last year is back (yass!), which you can find at the new 4Pines and Brookvale Union Garden Bar, under the famed Brisbane Showground fig trees. We hear they’ll also be comin’ in hot with their lip-smackingly good root beer too!
8. Everyone knows that magical stage after one or two drinks where you’re just that much better at games (right before that tipping point where you start going downhill again). Take advantage of it at the Berlin-style ping pong (which you can technically use your beer paddle for, but you’d better be good), giant Connect Four, foosball, putt putt, or, making its Beer InCider debut this year, the Strongman Thingy. You know you've always wanted to, so give it a whack—just put your beer down first.
9. Because, you know, all of the above isn’t enough, those Beer InCider legends have gone and added all kinds of awesome extras to take in as you drink, eat, compete, and party your way around the Showgrounds, like live graffiti, a resident hula hooper, and heaps more.
10. A new development for this year (and guys, we might have even saved the best for last) is that everything—all beer, all bars, all food trucks—is tap & go, powered by Square. No tokens, no lining up for currency, just grab your Visa or Mastercard and Paywave that bad boy. Oh yeah, the festival gods are smiling down on us!
What: Beer InCider Experience
When: 22nd & 23rd September 2017 (4.30pm–10pm Friday and 11am–9pm Saturday)
Where: Brisbane Showgrounds
Third and final release tickets are on sale now for $40+bf each (bloody epic value for all you're getting) or round up a squad of four or more and snap them up for just $35+bf each at www.beerincider.com.
Image credit: Beer InCider
TUL Note: This article is proudly sponsored by Beer InCider Experience and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.