Melbourne is basically in a state of dietary-requirement paradise—there’s a vegan, vego, paleo, gluten-free alternative to almost any bloody thing you can think of. Having a dietary requirement in Melbourne basically opens new doors to delicious dishes meat-lovers wouldn’t even dream of.
As a vegetarian, you’ve probably put your burger dreams to bed long ago. But it’s time to reawaken those dreams my no-meat mates, because here is a list of vegie burgers that’ll give the ol’ pulled pork slider a run for its money any day of the week.
These are Melbourne’s best vegie burgers.
- The vegie burger with 6-seed chickpea patty, beans, balsamic onions, slaw and hummus at Demazzi Stone Grill in Essendon.
- The Thanos burger with chickpea patty, American cheddar cheese, tomato, butter lettuce, mac & cheese croquette, special burger sauce and American mustard on toasted brioche at The Grand Trailer Park Taverna in the CBD.
- The smoked portabello mushroom burger with cheese, burger sauce, pickles and lettuce at Leonard’s House Of Love in South Yarra.
- The Vegie Vacation burger with a loaded veggie patty, fresh romaine, tomato, beetroot, red onions, Swiss cheese, sweet chilli sauce, roasted garlic aioli and house-made ketchup on a toasted brioche bun at Cool Bean Cafe in Moorabbin.
- The Juicy Tony with a spicy vegie patty stuffed with melted cheese, truffle mayo and truffle garlic mushrooms at Fat Jaks in St Kilda.
- The Vegi Delish burger with a handmade vegie patty, pickled vegies, lettuce, tomato and mayo at Sonny’s Fried Chicken & Burgers in Carlton.
- The Queen Bee burger with handmade chickpea patty, tomato, butter lettuce, American cheddar, special burger sauce and pickles at Royal Stacks.
- The Farmers Market burger with vegie patty, tasty cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, L.A. sauce on a milk or brioche bun at L.A. Burgers in South Yarra.
- The Mrs Falafel burger with house-made falafel, lettuce, fresh tomato, Spanish onion, pickles, grilled eggplant, fresh mint, herbed mayo & beetroot relish at The Fish & Burger Co. in Doncaster East.
- The vegie burger with carrot, potato, pea and herb patty, feta lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and skipping girl tomato kasoundi at Skipping Girl Take Away in Abbotsford.
- The Truffle Shuffle burger with mushroom arancini patty, American cheddar, lettuce, caramelised onion, tomato relish and truffle mayo at Hello Sam in South Yarra.
- The Shroominator burger with grilled halloumi cheese, portobello mushroom, lettuce, tomato, red onions and mayo on a toasted brioche bun at Cultural Commons in Springvale.
- The Vego burger with panko crumbed vegie pattie, U.S. cheese, tomato, lettuce, red onion, sriracha and MJ’s sauce at Mocha Jo’s Burger Bar in Glen Waverley.
- The Vegi Warfare burger with homemade vegie patty, yellow American cheddar, caramelised onion, lettuce, tomato and red onion with Resistance sauce and sriracha mayo at The Resistance Bar & Cafe in Hawthorn.
- The Vegapalooza burger with vegetable fritter, cheese, egg, lettuce, tomato, onion fries, ketchup, jalapeno mayo and beetroot bun at YOMG in Glen Waverley.
- The Tokyo burger with edamame patty, tomato, lettuce, Japanese mayo, onion, daikon and yak sauce at Humburger in Hawthorn.
- The Vegie Delight with homemade vegie patty, American cheddar, egg, cooked onion, lettuce, tomato and chipotle sauce at Burger Love in South Melbourne.
- The Hippy Royale burger with panko crumbed pinto bean patty, house slaw, avocado, mayo, tomato and pickles at The Royale Brothers in Brighton.
- The Your Mate burger with potato and zucchini rosti, American cheddar, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, aioli, pickles and onion at Easey’s in Collingwood.
- The Vego burger with sweet potato pattie, salad, relish, avocado and aioli at Wonky Trolley in North Melbourne.
- The Whykikamoocow Vego burger with falafel, tahini and lemon sauce, house pickles, lettuce and tomato at Straight Six in Flemington.
- The Magic Mushroom from Burger Project features crumbed confit mushroom, cheese, onions, pickles, lettuce, tomato, and, of course, Burger Project's secret sauce.
Still hungry? Here's where to find Melbourne's best vegan food.
Image credit: Burger Project | Annika Kafcaloudis