The world’s most liveable city got a little less liveable this week. Temperatures plummeted to single digits, and emerging from your snug doona cocoon into a frost-covered hell hole became the new morning ritual. But there was some good news, if you knew where to look (cough The Urban List end cough). Mobile nap-trucks, dessert bento boxes, Kath & Kim fitness events…Melbourne’s not going down without a fight.
Here’s all the stuff you missed this week.
- Old-school milk bars are certainly having a moment. We checked out two of the best: Murray’s Food Store and Karton.
- Chapel St powerhouse Mr Mister opened a brand new sister café named (you guessed it) Mr Sister. Keep an eye out for their future launches: Mr Twister and Mr Missed Her…
- Indian brunches officially became a thing at Hawthorn’s Piquancy.
- In honour of our new Antarctic-like temperatures, we rounded up the winter fashion essentials you need in your wardrobe.
- Melbourne did Melbourne-type things and announced a huge chocolate festival and a dog lovers’ show, both on this weekend.
- Nobu got a little James Bond and gave away a brand new secret cocktail…if you knew the magic words.
- We learned once and for all that Melbourne is not king of all things (blasphemy, we know). Turns out we pay 9% more for coffee than our Sydney cousins.
- We got your May ducks all in a row with a massive round-up of free things to do and markets worth marking.
- Some genius decided to make a mobile nap-mobile, so you can now get naps delivered straight to the office. ‘Bout time, right?
- Wild Turkey announced a new burger and bourbon pop-up at Whitehart in the CBD. It’ll be running on a few select dates in May.
- Look at moy! Kath & Kim fitness is now a thing. You don’t even need to be effluent.
- Shoe behemoths Wittner collab’d with the NGV to release an uber-exclusive range of Van Gogh-inspired footwear.
- We showed you how to make sushi doughnuts. You’re welcome.
- One of our favourite dessert temples gave us a new gift from On High: dessert bento boxes. The lord moves in mysterious and delicious ways.
And that’s the Good News! Cue exploding newspaper effects.
Need some work
distraction inspiration? We've rounded up the best of the web this week. Binge in peace.
Image credit: Max Kruse at Mr Sister