Think you’ve tried all the breakfasts after your winter weekends filled with brunches? Think again. While you may have been to all the hot spots and award-winning cafes around Auckland, we’re not convinced that you’ve ordered everything off the menu.
Next time you visit your local, or perhaps you’re trying a new spot, steer away from the classic eggs bene and take your pick from one of these 25 amazing breakfasts in Auckland.
- Head to Zomer in Takapuna and order the Dutch Pancakes with Maple Syrup. You won’t regret it.
- The Pea & Halloumi Fritters from Twisted Tomato are definitely worth a try.
- Newly opened Kindred, has plenty of delicious dishes on offer, but we recommend the Blueberry Pancakes.
- For some out of the ordinary hotcakes, get the Red Velvet ones from Hello Friends & Allies. Served with pistachio praline, mixed berry compote, mascarpone and vanilla fairy floss. It’s a childhood dream come true!
- Get the Mince On Toast from Queenies for a no-fuss breakfast.
- We know you’ve probably had mushrooms on toast before, but have you had the Wild Mushroom from Odettes? This one is sure to spark the tastebuds with Gorgonzola buttermilk, basil and the option of a poached egg.
- Who knew porridge could be a savoury dish? Café Mimosa in Takapuna serves up a shitake & tofu miso porridge with rice, seasonal veg and a poached egg. Now that’s something to try!
- Omelettes are good, and they’re even better when served with scallops. Try the cured scallop omelette from Takapuna Beach Café.
- If you’re one for the matcha trend, the matcha buckwheat pancakes from TRUE food & yoga are a must.
- Torched eggs are the new way to eat them. Welcome Eatery serves up some sweet as eggs torched with provolone, white bean masala all served on a freedom loaf and topped with beet salt.
- We’re all for a bagel for breakfast, and Eat At The Shelter tops theirs with Pic’s peanut butter, banana and dark cocoa dust. Scrumptious!
- Have your eggs a little different at The Governor, paired with braised lentils with curry leaf, yogurt and kasundi.
- If you’ve got a sweet tooth, Devon On The Wharf offers blueberry pancakes, but they’re not ordinary pancakes. They have white chocolate and rose water that melts into your pancakes as you eat.
- For a satisfying feed, order the crispy potato rosti meal from Deco Eatery.
- Eat like the French and order a breakfast bruschetta at Petit Bocal.
- Ceremony is infamous for its breakfast burgers, but have you tried the wild rice bowl?
- Not your average mushroom dish, Cornwall Park Café serves up a foraged mushroom medley with livers, brandy cream and Turkish pide.
- Start your day right at Onehunga Café. Order the crispy chicken, fried egg, chilli maple syrup and maple butter dish.
- Enjoy a slice of Carter’s infamous organic sprouted bread from Were Bros. Our fave topping is the avo, sweetcorn, coriander and chilli.
- We’re all for a bit of banana bread, and it’s even better when it’s banana & coconut bread, served with homemade almond butter! Get your fix from Raven & Cook.
- Mix up the way you eat your eggs at L’oeuf. Our favourite is taking it back to childhood days and ordering the soldiers.
- If you’re around Henderson, visit Little Sister Café and get the Kiwi as baked beans, a true Kiwiana dish.
- Bucklands Espresso Lounge has some epic breakfast options on offer, and our best pick is the sautéed mushrooms with bacon and onion served on a crisp tortilla and topped with a fried egg.
- Humbug Café has a small, yet tasty breakfast menu on offer. Our fave is the feta & tomato with coriander and cashew nut pesto on toast.
- If you still can’t tear yourself away from the classic eggs bene, at least try the healthier version from Little Bird Unbakery. The Portobello Benedict will surprise you with how good it tastes!
Image credit: Natasha Van Der Laan