New Year’s Eve with its (frankly ridiculous and usually unachievable) resolutions is upon us.
But before your new year’s resolutions kick in—which we all know isn’t usually until at LEAST the end of January (hey, life-changes take time)—here are 26 things you HAVE to try before the self-deprivation starts!
How many do you think you can fit in?
1. Pretend you’re in New York and chow down on Gainsbourg’s corned beef sandwich, piled high with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and homemade pickle.
2. Are you up for the Hot as Hell Fried Wings with Satan’s Sriracha at Good Bar? We sure as hell are!
3. Try one of the sticky chocolate eclairs from Noosa Hot Bread Shop. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to Paris.
4. Put on your stretchiest pants, prime your tastebuds and settle in for the 10-course degustation at Spice Bar.
5. You’ll feel like you’ve got an Italian mama insisting you try “just a little more lasagna” at the all you can eat Tastes of Italy buffet at the Novotel Twin Waters Resort.
6. The British believe that any food can be improved by deep frying it. Put that theory to the test with the deep fried jam sandwiches at Fryer of Whitby.
7. Hello Harry is spreading the love, and our friends in Caloundra now get to enjoy the Louisiana pulled pork burger. Y’all know you want it!
8. Do you sometimes find yourself in need of a half kilogram meal that you can eat on the run? Mad Mex’s slow cooked pork and bean burrito fits the bill.
9. For a bit of a twist on your pub schnitty, Junk on Ocean Street serves their crispy pork in a sticky, smoky Korean BBQ sauce with fiery kimchi. Do it.
10. Take nanna out for a good, old fashioned afternoon tea at Silva Spoon for towering cakes, laden with shaved chocolate, luscious fresh fruit and sticky syrup.
11. Treat yourself to an old-fashioned pork and fennel sausage roll (or two), at Van Wegens. Don’t forget the sauce!
12. Cooroy Hotel has more schnitzel options than you can poke a piece of fried chicken at. Our favourite is the seafood, with crab, prawn, and creamy garlic sauce.
13. When too much steak just isn’t enough—order the 400g dry-aged Cape Grim T-bone at Rump House Noosa.
14. There’s pizza, then there’s Little Italy’s Super Gladiator 24” beast, with chicken, pork belly, beef, bacon, pepperoni, and duck. Bring a friend.
15. Make sure you meet your recommended daily cheese intake by filling up on All’ Antica’s three cheese calzone.
16. Want a burger but can’t decide what kind? Let the team at Down Town Nambour surprise you with their “Secret Burger”. P.S. their onion rings are pretty amazing too.
17. Bring ALL the boys to the yard with Bean There Done That’s insane Nutella Overload milkshake.
18. If it’s got salted caramel, chocolate fudge, sprinkles or frosting, you’ll find it at Stormie D’s Cupcakery. #cantchoosejustone
19. If a single layer of caramel slice is good, then a caramel slice stack with popcorn at Decisions Café must be at LEAST twice as good, right?
20. Donuts + dulce de leche = heaven, courtesy of the Hot Jam Donut Kitchen.
21. Feeling spicy? Hathi Indian has buffet and banquet options for an Indian feast fit for a Maharajah.
22. Sweetness Contained will custom make your dream cake, and they also have heavenly cupcakes available all day at their café. We vote for the pink champagne sponge with Swiss buttercream.
23. We promise you won’t be able to choose just one flavour from the pies on offer at CJ’s. But the steak, bacon, cheese and potato has your name on it.
24. The whole fried crispy fish with tamarind chilli sauce at Spirit House is a special occasion tradition in our house. And I’ll take any excuse for a special occasion.
25. Ben and Jerry’s is world famous for a good reason. Try their warm chocolate brownie sundae with a scoop of peanut butter pretzel ice cream.
26. If you’re after an old-school burger with double beef, bacon, egg, cheese and beetroot, Rick’s Famous Big One will hit the spot.
Image Credit: Ariana Gillrie