Working in an office 9-5 means saying goodbye to sun-kissed skin (sigh). And because our milky white limbs are a sight for sore eyes, we’re currently living by the mantra ‘fake it till you make it’. This ultimately necessitated some research into Sydney’s best spray tans.
But the path to golden glory can be a difficult one – filled with potential Oompa Loompa look-alikes and Ross Geller mishaps. You can’t just rock up and walk out beautifully bronzed. No, there’s quite a bit of prep involved in achieving and maintaining the perfect tan.
So, to help you on your merry way, we asked the lovely Jacci at Tan Temple to share her ‘tan commandments’ to the perfect tan. Because who doesn’t look better with a golden glow?
- For best results, exfoliate your whole body before your tan to remove old tan and dead skin cells and to prepare your skin for an even, longer lasting tan. We also recommend you do any waxing at least 24 hours prior to your tan.
- Don’t have any moisturiser, deodorant, or perfume on your skin prior to tanning.
- Wear loose, dark clothes to your appointment for comfort and to avoid making any marks in your spray tan. It is advisable to wear slip on shoes or thongs. If it’s raining please wear closed-in shoes!
- Wash your tan off after 2-3 hours, or 6-8 hours depending on which tan you have had. Please check with your spray tan technicians.
- When washing off your spray tan after the recommended time, do not use any soap or products in the first shower. Use your hands to smooth off the tan under the water. Ensure the tan is completely washed off and looking nice and even before you get out. Pat down gently with your towel after every shower. Avoid long hot showers and baths to prolong the tan.
- Once you’ve showered, apply moisturiser to your whole body. It is advisable to moisture twice a day, every day, with a good quality body butter to keep your tan looking great and to help it last as long as possible. Do not use oil!
- Swimming in chlorine will fade your tan dramatically. Use a tan extender if you’re planning on swimming to keep your tan in tip-top shape.
- If you’re not happy with your results, say so! Tan Temple offers a satisfaction guarantee so if you are unhappy with your tan in any way, just let them know ASAP.
- Find a tanning salon that has a wide range of product available. This way you know they mean business. Tan Temple has a huge range of tan brands and colours and is always happy to hear feedback from your previous experiences.
- We recommend tanning regularly, because you look better brown!
To find out more about Tan Temple head here.
Image credit: Lisa Brooke
TUL Note: This article is proudly sponsored by Tan Temple and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.