Not to be that person who makes a big deal about their birthday, but please stop everything you’re doing at look how big we are, because The Urban List has just turned five years old!
Yep, The Urban List been dishing up the best of the best for five whole years (and we don’t look a day over four). It’s been a hell of a ride, and we’ve picked up a few friends along the way, namely our pals in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and our first international brus in Auckland.
Now that we’re wearing our big boys pants we thought it was high time to let our hair down and celebrate the only way we know how, with a good list. So, to mark our 5th birthday, we’re counting down our team’s ultimate Sydney Top 5—those Sydney businesses who’ve kept us fed, watered, dressed, and (somewhat) fit over the years, without which we’d be lesser humans.
Supporting these brill’ businesses is what gets us out of bed in the morning. We hope some of our favourites have become yours too.
- The Lord Dudley Hotel , the last remaining old pub left in Paddington. Plus, you can still drink on the street.
- 18 Footers Yacht club - Amazing balcony for afternoon beers on the water in the sun.
- Bang Bang Cafe - best burgers in town and legendary service from the owners.
- Scarbrough Hotel (kind of Sydney) - the best beer garden in Australian by a country mile.
- Chiswick - the best long lunch spot in Sydney. Oldie but a goodie.
So much food, so little time.
- The Little Marionette for one of the best long blacks in Sydney
- Ester in Chippendale for not only one of the best share menus going around but the absolute best service, and wine list.
- Authentink has one of the coolest studio spaces going around & easily the best tattoo artists in Sydney
- Raw by Anthony Nader for the greatest head massage of my life
- Foundry, Surry Hills, their chicken wrap has easily made up 80% of my meals this year
Because slow cooked anything...
- John Smith Waterloo has the best coffee and pulled pork breakfast creations
- LP's quality meats for its epic meats and insane mash potato & gravy
- Butter for their hot sauce and miso corn
- Alfie's friend Rolf in Darlinghurst for their unique threads
- The Dock Redfern for its awesome vibe and 90's music
Pizza & margaritas, because pizza & margaritas.
- Textbook cafe for being within hangover walking distance from my apartment and also for the best almond croissant of your life (among other delicious goods!)
- A Loft Story in Newtown one of the coolest salons out
- Vacanza for feeding my endless love of pizza
- Huberts, where it's ok to have 5 Margaritas at 12am on a Tuesday because they are just that damn good.
- Venus Wholefoods. Thank you for making healthy food delicious
Coffee and Carbs. Yep - That's me!
- Cornersmith for some of Sydney’s best coffee and the eggs and sides (any sides – they’re all great)
- Al Aseel in Greenacre for the best lemon garlic chicken of your life
- F45 Training. Yep, I’m one of THOSE people
- Venus Wholefoods for their Wake Up Jeff smoothie. It certainly wakes me up
- Bread and Butter Project. Great cause and even better Fig, Raisin & Cranberry Sourdough