Ohhhh Southsiders, how we love you and your matching ways. Your squad goals are strong, your patience for a brunch table knows no bounds, and we find your reluctance to venture North a bit cute. We’re an observant bunch, so we have made a (tounge-in-cheek) list of all your most prominent quirks.
Here are 30 things that are just soooooo Southside.
- Feeling the need to tell people when you venture northside.
- Visiting Top Paddock and considering that as far north as you need to go.
- Black, straight strap Birkenstocks.
- Eating exclusively on Chapel Street.
- Complaining about the bay beaches, but not venturing beyond Briiiighton.
- Being able to count on one hand the number of times you've caught a tram in the past twelve months.
- Hanoi Hannah is the most legit Vietnamese you've ever eaten.
- Not moving out of home, because why the hell would you when your parents have a 7 bedroom place in Malvern.
- Wearing half up - half down hair to brunch on Sundays.
- Dressing identically to all your friends.
- Fonda is your go-to for group catch ups.
- 57% of your pay cheque goes to Green With Envy.
- Laneway is your token 'hipster' event of the year.
- Portsea Polo, Polo in the City, Centre Court at the Tennis are all locked in months in advance.
- You've asked 'where did you go to school?' in the first 2 mins of conversation after meeting someone.
- Rebecca Judd is your god.
- You're not certain where Northcote is. You presume it's a long way north because of its name.
- You feel 'cultured' when you do your groceries at a market.
- The Brighton beach boxes are at the top of your list of things to show out of towners.
- Your first (underage) night out was spent at Seven.
- You've owned a VW Golf at some point in your life.
- Lining up for 2 hours for brunch on Saturday is totally fine.
- You're 27 and your parents still take you on family holidays to Europe.
- It's totally normal do the majority of your groceries at Thomas Dux.
- You try and impress all your dates with your legit street cred by taking them to Jungle Boy.
- Your grandparents have a beach house in Portsea... that you're nervous your cousin will inherit.
- Rosé is your go-to wine order.
- A lap of the tan is a weekend ritual. This one time, you even ran up Anderson Street.
- You’re having a long Christmas lunch with friends this weekend, where there’ll be grain salads and expensive bon-bons.
- You've never been snapped for an Instagram photo without your patented head tilt.
Now it's time for a laugh at the Northside... So here are 28 Things That Are So Northside!
Photo credit: @apmtravel