Nothing takes the edge off another day in lockdown like an ice-cold beer. The big green beer got it right all those years ago.
There are so many amazing beers being produced around Victoria that it would be rude not to get stuck into some while we're all at home during stage 4.
Here are a few local brews you should buy right now.
TWØBAYS Brewing Co
The brainchild of Coeliac Richard Jeffares, TWØBAYS Brewing Co opened its doors in December 2018 as Australia’s first dedicated gluten-free Brewery and Taproom. Having pumped 27 different beers through its taps, the brewery is on a journey of discovery, breaking boundaries in the gluten-free space so that people who avoid gluten get an opportunity to explore the craft beer experience too.
Beers To Check out From TWØBAYS:
- Pale Ale | 4.5% | "A beautiful hop balance brings through citrus aromas and the taste of endless summer days to come."
- XPA | 5.0% | "The X-factor is an amped-up hop profile, which makes this a refreshingly crisp and flavoursome beer, sitting as the slightly boisterously middle sibling between Pale Ale and IPA."
- IPA | 6.0% | "After trialling a few different IPAs in the Taproom, TWØBAYS settled on a cracking beer with hoppy aromas up front quickly overrun by malt sweetness on the mid-palate."
Moon Dog have been cooking up some excellent deals to help everyone get through lockdown. Their 'Pub In A Box' features beers galore, glasses, beer nuts, and a bar mat all for just $100.
They've got a ton of amazing beers to try as well during lockdown, here's what you should get stuck into.
BEERS TO CHECK OUT FROM Moon Dog:
- In The Crumble The Mighty Crumble | 6.5% | "First off comes the stewed apple sweetness followed almost immediately by vanilla/lactose creaminess and the crumble from the malt. The finish is all apple, tartness and highlights of cinnamon."
- The Pav Is Ours | 5.5% | "This pavlova pale ale is full of kiwifruit, passion fruit, strawberries and vanilla."
- The Future Is Bright Solar Powered IPA | 6.6% | "We've powered our big shiny new brewery in Preston with the help of the sun and with the future in mind. We've installed 317 solar panels and a 100kW solar inverter, which last month alone reduced our CO2 emissions by 22.5 tonne."
Collingwood and Melbourne Airport's (and soon to be Moorabbin) Stomping Ground is churning out some amazing beers. And while we can't head inside their beautiful venue right now at least we can warm the soul with a delicious ale from the brewery.
BEERS TO CHECK OUT FROM Stomping Ground:
- Hop Stomper IPA | 6.0% | "Hop Stomper is Stomping Ground's American-style West Coast IPA inspired by the tradition of stomping hops into bales, and with a firm bitterness and citrus aroma."
- Gipps St Pale Ale | 5.2% | "Named after the street Stomping Ground calls home, this gold medal winner is full of tropical fruit American hop character and serious personality."
- Passionfruit Smash | 4.2% | "Packed with real passionfruit, this gose is subtly salty, bright with fruit aromas and refreshingly tart—like a smashing fruit punch!"
Here are some Hop Nation brews to get into.
BEERS TO CHECK OUT FROM HOP NATION:
- Melbourne Fog | 4.8% | "It's a Hazy Pale, so you get that NEIPA style, but it's only 4.8% so you don't accidentally get wasted off two beers."
- The Punch | 4.0% | "Showing off a refreshing citrus acidity and a hint of saline smoothness, lifted mango notes and passionfruit pop from the glass. Unfined and unfiltered, The Punch pours slightly hazy in the glass with a dark lemon colour."
- The Chop | 7.0% | Pouring a hazy straw colour THE CHOP carries big citrus and tropical notes, finishing with a mild balanced bitterness. Featuring some of our favourite hops to date—Mosaic, Citra & Simcoe.
Braeside Brewing Co.
Braeside Brewing Co launched in late-2019 in the beachside suburb of Mordialloc.
The brewery now has a range beers available with names that reflect the local area.
Here are some Braeside Brewing Co beers to check out.
BEERS TO CHECK OUT FROM Braeside Brewing:
- Bayside IPA | 6.0% | "Bayside is the best of our taproom IPA favourites. Combining the Apollo & Archers IPA. multiple hop additions brings a bright, fresh aroma to a complex malt body."
- True Course Session Ale | 4.2% | "Clean Malt build, floral & with notes of Stone-fruit & Pine. This single hop session Ale is a great backyard beer."
- Epsom Stout | 4.5% | "This Australian stout brings biscuit & Roast coffee flavours to a lightly bittered & refreshing body. Enjoy through all seasons."
Bad Shepherd brews their beers in Cheltenham from their brewpub that dishes up delicious American BBQ fare when things are normal.
Here are some Bad Shepherd beers to check out.
BEERS TO CHECK OUT FROM Bad Shepherd:
- Peanut Butter Porter | 6.4% | "Originally conceived by our head chef, this beer was inspired by ‘Buckeye Candy’. Moreish peanut butter fudge balls partially dipped in rich chocolate. Go on, Google it. Our mouth was watering when we did. Brewed with chocolate malt, chocolate wheat and hazelnuts, the hero in this creamy, decadent and full-bodied porter is the peanut butter character."
- Victoria Pale Ale | 4.2% | "A crisp, easy-drinking session pale ale with tropical aromas. Brewed with all Victorian ingredients including a historic Melbourne yeast last used in 1936."
- Oatmeal Stout | 5.1% | "This winter favourite is seasonally brewed, using 75kg of flaked oats toasted in our brewpub kitchen to showcase a nutty oat profile, this stout is deliciously chocolatey and nutty with a full-bodied creamy mouthfeel and firm roasty finish. A moderately low carbonation reminiscent of a traditional English Stout accentuates strong notes of caramel and nut on the palate."
Need some food to go with those beers? Here are the best ready-made meals you can get delivered to your door in Melbourne.
Image credit: TWØBAYS Brewing Co