Most of us have been cooking up a storm during isolation, and are cooking skills are absolutely off the hook now.
Recently, we've been putting together a list of recipes that's sure to make you a superstar in the kitchen, check them out below:
- The perfect Zucchini Slice
- Everything worth cooking with mince
- How to make an epic quiche
- And many more...
This recipe is by Nornie Bero, owner of Melbourne indigenous cafe, Mabu Mabu.
Mabu Mabu places an emphasis on native Australian ingredients and indigenous recipes. And no recipe is quite complete without an amazing damper to go with it.
Here's how to make Nornie's damper. Go for the classic version or shake things up with a pumpkin, wattleseed or saltbush damper.
- 3 cups self-raising flour (enough for one type of damper)
- 4 x 30cm sheets of banana leaves (optional)
- 2 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 500g or 1/4 Japanese pumpkin (optional, for pumpkin damper)
- 1 tbs wattleseed (optional, for wattleseed damper)
- 1 & 1/2 tbs saltbush (optional, for saltbush damper)
Golden Syrup Butter
- 4 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 & 1/2 tbs golden syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- If making pumpkin damper, start by roasting the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and roast in the oven until soft—almost mushy.
- If making wattleseed or saltbush damper, add spices to the flour.
- In a bowl, add the flour and butter. Mix together using your hands by pressing together. Mix until fully combined.
- If making pumpkin damper, add cooked pumpkin and mix through.
- Add the water to the mixture a little at a time and mix with fingers until you have a nice sticky dough (use less water when making pumpkin damper).
- Place some flour on a clean surface then kneed until you have a bread dough consistency.
- Divide dough into two. Place one piece of dough on the centre of the banana leaf. Wrap in banana leaf, then wrap in tin foil. You can either repeat with the other half of the dough or make small rolls or cook as a loaf without wrapping (cook for 10 minutes less if not wrapped in banana leaf).
- Place on an oven shelf for 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make golden syrup butter, mix room temperature butter together with golden syrup in a bowl using a small whisk or fork.
For more great things to cook at home, head to our Recipes section.
Image credit: supplied