It’s been quite a year of new openings, new dishes, and ALL of the chicken ribs. From new spins on breakfast classics to delightfully strange dessert flavours, we’ve rounded up 45 of Melbourne’s best 2015 dishes.
We can’t decide which one should be crowned best dish of 2015 – so we’re leaving it up to you guys. Vote at the end of the list for your favourite, and go into the draw to win 2x float sessions at Gravity Floatation, Armadale! You'll need it by the time you get to the end of trying this list of epic feasts...
So, shall we tick them all off before the end of the year? #challengeaccepted
1. Want a twist on the summery scallop? Head to Sake for their miso cream sea scallops and head to seafood heaven.
2. Cacao pod filled with petit fours as a dessert? Yes please, Lûmé.
3. We’ve all had a great kingfish ceviche – but have you had Lady Carolina’s smoked version? You should definitely get there asap.
4. If there was a souva to rival all others, it would be Gazi’s soft shell crab version, with the addition of sweet honey.
5. For those who got their hands on the duck fat ice cream at Taste, you can tick this off. Everyone else? Head to the Royal Mail.
6. Ham hock AND eggs benedict? Sounds like breakfast heaven right? Head to Mister Zen.
7. Imma let you finish, but Wasshoi does the best Japanese pork roll of all time.
8. The soba noodle salad at Tokyo Tina gets our vote this year (and a whole lot of other things from their menu).
9. The TUL local coffee joint of choice, Mr Mister’s baked eggs made the cut in the much-debated breakfast nominees list.
10. Mushroom, mixed herbs and haloumi? Grab a plate of all three at the Wynyard Café.
11. Vegan Ruben? Sounds like a vegan dream right? Hit up Smith & Deli for this sandwich.
12. If you’re an Instagram tragic, you’ve already had the injectable doughnuts at Ascot Food Store – everyone else, it tastes as good as it looks.
13. The award for the weirdest and most awesome combination goes to the lobster donut roll at Mammoth.
14. Sashimi three ways? I’m there. See you at Minamishima.
15. Fried chicken, waffle and ice-cream. It’s not called FAT Fried & Tasty for nothing.
16. For the more adventurous, it’s time to try the pig’s tail at Woodland House.
17. LSD pizza. Looks like A25 Pizzeria has hit the nail on the head, and our list is getting delightfully trippy.
18. The Town Mouse was always going to get a mention here, and our recommendation is the red cabbage head.
19. Rabbit tagliatelle – a clear winner over at Tipo 00.
20. The much-buzzed nori salmon taco is definitely worth they hype over at Mr Miyagi.
21. If you want something decadent, try the oyster with limoncello granita at Carlisle Wine Bar.
22. Cheese lovers rejoice: We’ve popped the condelese brie cheese from City Wine Shop on here too.
23. Wagyu beef sliders were our favourite treat at Woods of Windsor this year.
24. How to make broccoli dumplings better? Add cheese. Thanks Charlie Dumpling.
25. Fried chicken ribs were probably the surprise dish trend of the year, and Cookie serves up a good ‘un.
26. 'Hiramasa no Usuzukuri' – it’s got its own name. Head to the new Toko for sliced kingfish, yuzu and chives.
27. Miso glazed rotisserie chicken. I mean, seriously, Belleville. You read our minds.
28. For the beetroot lover, try the beetroot terrine at Industry Beans. Yum.
29. Lobster betel leaves with chilli and coriander at Botherambo? Sounds like the kind of dish we can get on board with.
30. It’s hard to find a great steak tartare, but Temple Brewing Co have delivered in 2015.
31. Our paleo friends understand the pull of waffles. Especially pumpkin waffles with candied bacon ice cream at Patch Café.
32. Head to the The Carlton Wine Room for a beef short rib that won’t disappoint.
33. Got a friend? Take them to the Gem Bar & Dining Room and share the BBQ tasting platter for 2.
34. Nutella doughnuts. That’s all we need to say. Oh, also, get them at +39 Pizzeria.
35. Fried chicken ribs with honey, sesame and smoked dukkah at Polēpolē? Clearly.
36. The panko seared tuna and spring onion puree at Hihou had to make the list. Get it in your belly.
37. The ‘Monsieur’ croque at cheese mecca Shifty Chèvre is another one for the lactose positive.
38. How could we forget Easey’s? The Rowdy Double cheeseburger had to be on here somewhere.
39. We also loved the lemongrass crème dessert at Transformer Fitzroy for something a little different.
40. The calamari, broccoli, wild greens and blue mackerel broth blew our mind at Brae.
41. Hot wings with gochujang and chipotle at Kong BBQ is a chili lovers dream. Too good.
42. The drama of the campfire hot chocolate with woodsmoke and toasted marshmallow doesn’t take away from how delicious the Mörk offering actually is.
43. The duck ragu with poached eggs and beans is our new hangover cure over at Drugstore Espresso.
44. Newbies Hawker Hall make a late entry on the list with their braised duck salad with ginger soy dressing.
45. Passionfruit and coffee cream donut. Sounds like it doesn’t work, but All Day Donuts are the masters. Trust them.
So you've already hit most of these and are looking for another challenge? Tuck in to the 32 things to eat in Melbourne before 2015 is over!
Image credit: Michelle Jarni