Sure the big cities have their fair share of fancy restaurants and celebrity chefs, but when it comes to the best seafood dishes around, nowhere beats the Coast.
Us seafood lovers are pretty flexible with the way we take it—fresh, crumbed, battered, in burgers, curries, or whole. We seafood, then we eat it. It’s that simple. And it’s thaaaat good.
To help satisfy your fishy cravings, we dove into some of the best restaurants on the Sunshine Coast, rounded up the tastiest seafood offerings and popped them into this handy list.
Here are 21 of the best seafood dishes on the Sunshine Coast.
1. Ask ANYONE where to find the best seafood on the Sunshine Coast, and they’ll point you to the Thai wonderland that is Spirit House, or more specifically the Whole Crispy Fish with tamarind chilli sauce. Haven’t tried it? Well, you haven’t really lived then, have you? Just sayin’.
2. The Spaghettini Marinara at Rock Salt is theeee business. We’re talkin’ prawns, snapper, salmon, mussels, swirled in fresh horseradish cream. Drooling yet?
3. They’ve come through with the goods to make our best burgers on the Sunshine Coast list, so we knew they’d never let us down when it comes to a fish burger. Add Hello Harry’s Crumbed Barramundi Burger with lettuce and a lemon, dill, and caper aioli, to your see-food-and-eat-it list.
4. Primo Peregian Beach restaurant Pitchfork, wins the scallop stakes with their Hervey Bay scallop sashimi. Sea-sational!
5. Our love affair with Bistro C—one of the best restaurants in Noosa—grows stronger by the bite, and their Coral Cove Barramundi Fillet with spiced pumpkin puree, heirloom tomato chermoula, spanner crab brandade, and sesame and cumin dukkah, is no exception.
6. With a name like El Capitano, of course this Noosa restaurant would be a pro at bringing two of our tasty loves together for the ultimate seafood pizza—local tiger prawn and calamari with confit garlic, mozzarella, chilli oil, lemon, and parsley. A true slice of perfection.
7. The creamy Prawn Saag at Curry Bowl is bananas. As in, super delish. As in, you need to order it.
8. If cous cous is your kettle of fish, then wander over to Tides in Caloundra. This waterfront restaurant serves up a tasty Saffron Israeli Cous Cous loaded with prawns, scallops, mussels… and bugs. Yeah, baby!
9. Trawl Ocean Street then find yourself a stool at Junk, ‘cause the Soft Shell Crab Steam Bao is one seafood dish you wanna try. Trust us!
10. Four words: Coconut Lime Cured Fish. Okay, we can’t stop there. This Spice Bar speciality is pretty much impossible to slide by, and you’d be crazy to even think about NOT ordering it.
11. Thomas Corner’s BBQ Mahi Mahi with broccolini, pine nuts, black cherry tomatoes, and finger lime is a little bit fancy and a whole lot of yum.
12. Fish on Parkyn has a rep when it comes to incredible seafood, but a crowd fave has to be the BBQ Seafood Plate packed with Moreton Bay bug, Mooloolaba king prawns, salmon, Hervey Bay scallops, and of course, hand-cut fries. Holy aioli (yep, you get that too)!
13. Take beachfront dining to a whole other level with pancetta-wrapped Moreton Bay bug tails, olive oil mashed potato, butter beans, and a fetta dressing, at Sails. It’s a total catch!
14. If fresh, raw fish is your seafood match, then head to Wasabi for Sashimi Moriawase, and you’ll (fine)dine on five of the day’s best offerings.
15. The Coast’s obsession with curry is well looked after at Noosa Beach House. Get your fix with the Sri Lankan Snapper Curry.
16. Served with charred corn, jalapeno, jamon chips, and a bonito crumb, the scallops at Gainsbourg are some of the most more-ish morsels we’ve ever eaten.
17. If you’re a firm believer that “sharing is caring”, then Wood Fire Grill’s BBQ Ora King Salmon share plate is right up your nice-folk alley.
18. There’s a reason the Surf and Turf still graces menus across the region, ‘cause when it’s good, it’s reaaaally good. Find your happy place with the 250-gram rump topped with king prawns in a cream-a-licious garlic sauce at Karma Waters.
19. Sometimes, life just calls for simply epic fish and chips. Our new fave takeaway joint, the Fish & Chippery in Mooloolaba, cooks up locally-caught fish in a Stone and Wood beer batter, finished with a house-made chunky tartare sauce.
20. The platters of all seafood platters, Noosa Boathouse’s three-tiered seafood extravaganza will have you knocking back bugs, Mooloolaba prawns, spanner crab, and freshly shucked oysters.
21. Well, hello there High Tide, fancy seeing your Deep Fried Calamari share plate on our list of the best seafood on the Sunshine Coast. But, when you do it like you do, with rocket and chorizo crumb, well let’s just say we could easily order 10. But we’ll restrain.
Image Credit: Daniel Hine
Love tasting your way through the best restaurants on the Sunshine Coast? A visit to 7 of the best waterfront establishments, might be what the foodie doctor ordered.