We hate to be the bearer of bad news but summer is more than half over. It’s been a glorious two months where eating ice cream any time of the day is totally acceptable, thongs are the only pair of footwear you’ve needed and you (almost!) feel guilty watching hours of Netflix instead of making the most of the glorious sunshine. Don’t fret; you’ve still got exactly 34 days left (thank you Feb 29th for giving us one more day of our favourite season!) to make the most of summer. You better get started, because we’ve put together this solid list of things to do in Brisbane before summer is really, truly over.
1. Eat ice cream for breakfast. Or any of these other sweet breakfast treats for that matter.
2. Climb Mt Coot-Tha and Instagram the view. After all if you don’t Insta, did it even happen?
3. Smash the avo at one of these hot spots.
4. Get high on hijinks at Kettle & Tin’s Tuesday night trivia.
5. Pack a picnic basket and Pimm’s for an idyllic Sunday Session on the Green at River Quay. Kick back and unwind to the soft, smooth tunes of some of Brisbane’s best musicians.
6. Drink at each and every one of these places by the time summer is over (just maybe not in the same day!)
7. Buy yourself a flamingo, donut or whatever on-trend animal/food-shaped pool inflatable you can get your hands on and incessantly Instagram over the next four weeks.
8. Check out New Farm Park’s Moonlight Cinema for the latest new releases or some of the classics!
9. Start eating your way through these meals you should have eaten if you live in Brisbane.
10. Soak up some vitamin D and test your balance stand up paddle boarding on the Sunshine Coast.
11. Hop around to all of Brisbane’s best rooftop bars and enjoy a champers at sunset.
12. Pack a blanket and your favourite book for a relaxing afternoon spent in Southbank Parklands. Nothing to read? We’ve got you covered.
13. Commit to an afternoon-long Sunday session at Brisbane icon The Regatta Hotel.
14. Smash an entire family pack of Zooper Doopers.
15. Take a summer road trip to the coast and fry your breakfast on the bonnet of your car.
16. Start your Saturday morning right by sampling 2016’s breakfasts you really must try.
17. Get coastal. Can’t handle the heat in Brisbane? Get in the car and just go for the day. We’re so into the coast that we’ve created a whole new site dedicated to all things good at the GC & Sunshine Coast.
20. Live in your #activewear every weekend—you can even justify it by walking the river loop from the Story Bridge, through the Botanical Gardens, over the Goodwill Bridge, up the Kangaroo Point cliff stairs and back – or not.
21. Get the family together on a Sunday for a BBQ by the river at New Farm Park.
23. Lace up your runners and be true to whatever New Year’s health resolution you’re sticking out. Need some #inspo? Get stuck into these running routes.
24. Afterwards, submerge yourself in a bath of ice and really beat the heat.
25. Rekindle those carefree childhood summers with an unnecessarily watermelon seed spitting contest with your siblings.
26. Wipe the cobwebs off your bike or hire a city cycle and explore Brisbane’s winding river pathways. Or if you’re a little bit of a lycra lover and not afraid of #feelingtheburn, sign yourself up for Brisbane’s Cootha Burn on Saturday 13th Feb.
27. Haven’t been to a museum in a while? Head to the cultural precinct in Southbank and get a history lesson for free or visit APT8 at GOMA to see what you’ve been missing out on!
28. Tick off at least five of these cheap eats.
29. Dive into the rooftop pool bar at Limes Rooftop Bar. You can even catch a movie on a Wednesday or Thursday night.
30. Eat your body weight in mangoes. Or prawns. Or both.
32. Escape from reality with a 48 hour trip to Byron Bay, it’ll feel like Summer holidays all over again. Just don’t blame us when Monday morning rolls around again and you can’t snooze that alarm clock.
33. Stroll down James St and catalogue everything you’d buy if you won the lotto.
34. Ignore TLC and go chasing waterfalls at these beauties near Brissy that you can actual swim in!
35. Attempt to watch the entire “Making a Murder” Series on Netflix in the next 48 hours so no one at work can spoil it for you. Already finished? Check out these Netflix Docos you must see!
36. Fall asleep to the sound of the ocean.
37. Enjoy the outdoors while you still can at Brisbane’s iconic beer gardens.
38. Gather your friends together for a picnic at one of these fabulous spots.
39. Complete your annual pilgrimage of beach day trips to Burleigh, Noosa and Straddie.
40. Watch the sunrise. From a mountaintop, from the beach, from your bed. Just get up that early, once this summer. It’ll be worth it and we won’t make you do it again!
41. Keep cool in the freezer aisle of your nearest supermarket.
42. Get down to The Brightside on Friday Feb 5th for #TruckIt; all your favourite food trucks in one location.
43. Give yourself a free, full-body exfoliation at the beach.
44. Scream for your team at Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane Roar take on the Central Coast Mariners on Saturday 6th Feb or check out the NRL Allstars on Saturday 13th Feb.
47. Save your pennies and go glamping at Fraser Island. It won’t disappoint!
48. Have the ultimate Sunday session in Noosa aboard MV Catalina for their new Saltwater Sunday’s.
49. Seek out that one off vintage bargain that everyone will envy at the CBD’s Suitcase Rummage Sunday 21st Feb.
50. Make the most of the last 34 days or 442 hours or 26 520 minutes of glorious Brisbane summer sunshine.
Image credit: Robbie Dark