Breakfast is a big deal in Australia. Like, a really, big, huge deal. If we’re honest, we tend to get a little obsessed with anything new on the brekky scene—remember the world before smashed avo?—and swear the entire country would stop if we ran out of flat whites.
But when we heard that breakfast curry was totally a thing over in Malaysia, we knew they’d cottoned on to a good thing!
Serving up the hottest food trends from S.E Asia, we’ve teamed up with the crew at PappaRich to share their top secret recipes (and a few tricks of the trade!) to bring you your very own step-by-step PappaRich cooking class, coming at you from your sofa.
So let’s roll up those sleeves and get right to it; here’s how to make a kick-ass breakfast curry—aka, the infamous Nasi Lemak!
How To Make Breakfast Curry
What you’ll need:
2 Cups Jasmine Rice
400 Ml Water
Coconut Milk, 80gm (For Chicken) / 200gm (For Rice)
2 Tablespoons Oil
4 Pieces Pandan Leaves
1 Bunch Curry Leaves
100 gm Curry Paste
2 Teaspoons Sugar
4 Pieces Lemongrass
2 Teaspoons Salt
450 gm Chicken
Let's make curry!
- First up you want to marinate the chicken, then leave overnight in the fridge
- Add a little oil to the pan
- Once hot, add in the curry paste and fry for 2 mins or becomes fragrant
- Now add in the Thai basil, pandan leaves and lemongrass
- Throw in sugar and salt to season, then stir!
- Pour in the coconut cream
- Now add the chicken to the pan. Stir!
- Allow to simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, then set aside.
- Now, to cook the rice. Fill your saucepan with water and add a drop of vegetable oil
- Drop in your rice and stir gently
- Add in your coconut water and pandan leaf, then season with a little sugar and salt
- Cook until the water mixture has been absorbed fully.
- Time for the fun bit; plating up!
- Take your rice, cooked chicken curry, a boiled egg (halved), fried anchovies, sliced cucumber, peanuts and, chopped chilli and serve as you like it.
But, let's be real, if you don't have time just head to PappaRich and let their chefs do all the work for you.
Win A Trip To Malaysia!
We've teamed up with PappaRich to give away a trip to Malaysia. Bring on temples, beaches, laksa and cocktails.
Editor's note: This article is proudly sponsored by Pappa Rich and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy. To read the full TCs please click here.