You’ve moved to the city, set up house in the inner suburbs, married a local, had a few kids and enrolled them in school, but can you really call yourself a Brisbanite?
You were born within the city limits and grew up in the same. You’ve been everywhere and done everything this thriving metropolis has to offer, but does that a Brisbanite make?
Barring a full psychiatric assessment, you know you’re a Brisbanite when…
- Everyone you know also knows each other.
- You consider 16°C as the dead of winter.
- Jealousy of the southern states is restricted to their shopping selection and nothing more.
- The Suncorp Stadium game schedule is saved in your favourites (especially if you live in Paddington).
- A 40°C heatwave is no object to setting the Christmas pudding on fire.
- Jacaranda is your favourite shade of purple.
- ‘Mango’ has its own segment of the food pyramid.
- Which school you went to follows you around for life.
- The idea of living more than two hours’ drive from the beach is utterly ludicrous.
- Magpies are your mortal enemy.
- Ditto ibises #givemebackmysandwich.
- Ditto anyone residing on the other side of the river to you.
- You’re perfectly willing to spend 50 minutes in traffic for the most authentic Vietnamese.
- The fact that everywhere is closed and it’s only 9pm is not at all surprising.
- The Hungry Jack’s on Queen Street Mall is the most sensible and obvious emergency assembly point. For any emergency.
- You refer to your local member by their nickname.
- Tropical thunderstorm? Tropical schmunderstorm…
- Keeping your goon bag in the basket of your City Cycle is the safest place for it.
Are you a true Brisbanite? Check out our article 52 Things Every Brisbanite Has Said At Some Point!
Image credit: citycattours.com