As we tear through the pages of our summer calendar (metaphorically anyway—does anyone still use an actual paper calendar?!), the end is just around the corner.
So in those precious few days that are left, let’s cram in as MUCH epic stuff as we can!
1. Start your new year’s resolutions early—whether it’s eating better, exercising, quitting one of your vices, you’ll feel better (and feel more committed to it) if it’s not just a new year’s resolution.
2. Unplug ALL your devices for a day. Just one day. And take back some clear head space just for yourself. That means NO Instagram. Yes, you.
3. Get a special treat for that happy little Vegemite in your life and order a personalised jar of Vegemite.
4. Plant something. Anything. Vegies, flowers, a tree. And watch it grow in the new year.
5. Dig out your beach cricket set and work up a sweat.
6. Start a campaign to bring Bellini ice pops to the Coast. Please.
7. Spend all your Christmas money from Grandma at MECCA at the Plaza.
8. Tell Grandma you spent it on books, not a drool-worthy Smashbox highlighter. (Although your perfectly highlighted cheekbones might be a dead giveaway…)
9. Try out these new Maroochydore hotspots.
10. If you are one of those insanely organised people, and you are already planning for Christmas 2017, wait until just after Christmas this year and snap up Eclectic’s amazing bargains on gorgeous hand-made Christmas decorations.
11. Get luxe, kissable lips with this amazing summer deal at Cosmetic Studio Noosa.
12. Hire a BBQ pontoon boat with your besties (the bigger boats seat up to 14), pack an epic picnic, and settle in for a long afternoon.
13. Or plan a bit of a longer stay with a lazy houseboat weekend.
14. Relive your childhood with a Mr Whippy fix. Just the sound of that tune gets me craving that sour pink sherbert…
15. Get delightfully sarcastic with custom hand-lettered prints. Pick your own phrases and get a unique, original piece.
16. Beat the summer heat in the aircon at the movies. I’ll be drooling over the fabulously charming Blunderbuss Crumblysnatch in Doctor Strange.
17. Our friends in the Northern hemisphere get to wear ugly sweaters at Christmas time, so if you don’t want to miss out on the action, pick up an ugly Christmas rashie.
18. Between now and Christmas, Friday nights in Eumundi and Calounda are buzzing with market stalls and entertainment—just the spot to do your last minute pressie shopping (we hear a rumour that there’s a special guest expected too!)
19. Get wet—whether it’s in a lake, a river, the ocean, or even just your pool, make sure you immerse yourself at least once before the end of the year.
21. Go for a new look for NYE with the Sunshine Coast’s best hairdressers.
22. Start small on that whole “great outdoors” thing and try these Sunshine Coast camping spots for rookies.
23. Work off that ham and turkey with the Coast’s prettiest walks.
24. Buy some malted milkshakes and head for the Eumundi drive-in with your best girl. You might even get to second base.
25. Make it your mission to mix the perfect Pimms before 2016 is over.
26. Make Christmas a bit more festive for a brand new Queenslander. The Queensland Gives Christmas Appeal is collecting gifts of household items to help refugees settle in their new homes in Queensland.
27. Spontaneous staycation mini-break at one of these epic beach houses!
28. Crack out the slip ‘n’ slide—just don’t combine slippin’ ‘n’ slidin’ with too much. Trust me, it’s a bad idea. I have friends who’ve got the scars to prove it.
29. Turn the air con down to 14C, brew some mulled wine, and pretend you’re having a European Christmas.
30. Just to give it an authentic European touch, throw out any British friends who may be trying to enter into any trade deals with your housemates.
31. Go old school with a sausage sizzle. No fancy gourmet sausages or brioche buns. Just sliced white bread, sausage, and tomato sauce.
32. Whether it’s Love Actually, Home Alone, or Die Hard, a good Christmas movie is hard to beat. Cue up your favourites (here’s some of ours), and stock up on candy canes and mince pies for a festive marathon.
33. Learn to surf. Although we fear it may take longer than a couple of weeks.
34. Do the right thing and get your annual skin cancer check out of the way.
35. Pack your board games and book one of the vintage caravans at Kenilworth Homestead.
36. IKEA is on the Coast! Well, almost. North Lakes. But close enough. At least it’s not Logan!
38. Get back to your folk roots at Woodford.
39. Two words: road trip!
40. Keep track of what our mates at Metropolist GC are up to.
41. Pray that we don’t lose any more celebs. #notbettywhiteplease
42. Check out our newest late night spot, Buddha on Hastings.
43. Binge on House of Gelato’s daily handmade flavours—and they even do take-home packs!
44. Get your bronze on with a spray tan for NYE.
45. When it’s too hot to cook, grab a BBQ chicken and chips, dip your toes in the water, and get messy.
46. Be an awesome friend and take your bestie’s kidlets off their hands for the afternoon with a visit to these kid-friendly cafes.
47. When you can’t face any more ham, turkey, or Christmas pud, head for these epic BBQ spots.
48. Exceed your wine and cheese quota with the help of this summer hitlist.
49. There’s only a few days until the end of 2016—how many of these coffees can you fit in?
50. Hope like hell that 2017 is going to be gentler on us.
Looking for more things to do this December? Check out our events list!
Image Credit: Amy Higg for Metropolist