Vegetarians in Sydney, feel deprived no more! We’ve tracked down 50 of the best meat-free meals at Sydney’s best restaurants and cafés, so you’ll never have to settle for standard sides again. Let the eating begin!
1. Let’s begin with the blueberry pancakes with honey and ricotta Youfoodz, a deliciously wholesome way to begin the day.
2. What would this list be without Venus Wholefoods’ lusciously green Venus plate?
3. Make it a bit less healthy with the warm spinach dip with artichoke and cheese from Small Bar Crows Nest.
4. Then jump back to saintly and order the roast pumpkin salad with freekah, goat’s cheese, walnuts, radish, pomegranate from Speedo’s Café.
5. Just want a snack? Die and go to carb heaven with the mashed potato and gravy from LP’s Quality Meats.
6. Keep it fresh and grab The Anchor Bondi’s kale salad with a runny poached egg.
7. Make excellent friends with the pan-fried Kefalograviera cheese with honey and charred lemon from The Public Cammeray.
8. It’s easy being green with the life-changing brussels sprouts with parmesan and egg from Chippendale restaurant ester.
9. Like to pretend you’re eating meat? Go for Bondi Wholefoods’ mushroom bruschetta with Persian fetta.
10. Don’t skimp on the pasta, and order Aqua Dining’s orecchiette with Sicilian pesto and salted ricotta.
11. Like it hot? We can’t go past the baked eggs from Laneway Café, with pumpkin and chickpeas.
12. Say hello to Blackrock Brasserie's pumpkin, kipfler potato, and Gippsland blue cheese lasagne. (now closed)
13. Get messy with the queso fundido from Flying Fajita Sistas.
14. Die and go to truffle heaven with Ripples Chowder Bay’s baked semolina gnocchi with pumpkin, truffle and sage.
15. Who says vegos can’t have a cheat day? Celebrate with Pub Life Kitchen’s vego delight: panko crumbed cheese patty, cranberry jam, slaw, pickles and jalapeno mayo. Awww yeah.
16. Like it simple? Go with the garlic, fresh herb and mozzarella toastie from Miranda Hotel.
17. Loosen your belt buckle and order the ricotta dumplings with zucchini flowers and lazy man’s pesto from Pei Modern.
18. Don’t even bother denying yourself the bufalina margherita from one of Sydney’s best pizza restaurants, Vacanza in Surry Hills.
19. Get a little more healthy with a cauliflower, pomegranate, quinoa and mint salad from Onde.
20. Make veggies way more fun with Mejico’s corn lollipops.
21. Start the day with Rell’s Kitchen’s porridge, topped with fresh banana, brown sugar and warmed milk or honey.
22. Jump for joy and grab the Jerusalem artichokes with grains, radish and sorrel from Sydney bar and restaurant, Gazebo.
23. Still hungry? Head to The Rook and punish the vego lettuce cups with a side of truffle fries for good measure.
24. Make it raw and go for Sadhana Kitchen’s lasagne.
25. Complete yourself with the perfect circle salad from Rozelle Cafe Egg Of The Universe.
26. Keep things interesting with the sea cucumber lingh zi mushroom with seasonal vegetables from Green Gourmet.
27. Make it a little fancier and indulge in dengaku nasu (miso eggplant) from Sydney Japanese restaurant, Toko.
28. Warm yourself up with the Persian mixed legume stew from Henley’s Wholefoods.
29. Channel your inner beast and annihilate the goat’s cheese churros with truffle honey from Nomad.
30. Go full vegan at Bondi’s Dandylion Café, the black bean spaghettini with wild mushrooms, nori, pine nuts and gremolata is off the charts.
31. Keep it simple with the mozzarella stuffed fried olives from The Commons.
32. Make your breakfast a happy one and order Suzie Q’s breakfast at Epiphanies with grilled haloumi.
33. Thank the pasta gods for Casoni’s pumpkin ravioli with pistachios, burnt butter and sage sauce.
34. Le Monde’s zucchini and haloumi fritters will change you as a person.
35. Like your soy? Say hey to the tofu and spinach teriyaki at Sushi Uo.
36. Pack on the potatoes with Maya Vegetarian’s aloo tarkari.
37. Have fun pronouncing Chat Thai’s padt paak raadt khao (stir fried seasonal vegetables with rice), and have even more fun eating it.
38. People love the BBQ pork bun, but vegos can enjoy Tim Ho Wan’s famous steamed egg cake.
39. Dig into the curry banana flower fritter served with house made sweet chilli sauce and crushed cashew nut at Surry Hills Eating House.
40. Sink your teeth into the crispy tofu bao at Belly Bao and thank us later.
41. Let your love affair with the fava bean soup from Cafe Giulia begin.
42. Keep it green with the homemade gnocchi with pesto at Il Baretto.
43. Jump on the clean eating wagon with Proteini’s caveman bowl.
44. Indulge in the kari sayur at Mamak with a side of fluffy roti (of course).
45. Vegetarian fried dumplings from Sea Bay. Because no-one should be deprived of dumplings.
46. The queso de soya taco at El Loco is fun for everyone.
47. Get involved with Mejico’s famous guacamole.
48. Go all in on the fried cauliflower with braised red onion, mint and pistachio at The Butler.
49. Prepare to be amazed by the whole roasted field mushrooms with asparagus and goat’s curd from Bowery Lane.
50. Have a giggle at Mr YumYum’s fungi dumpling at Newtown’s Luyu & YumYum.
Worked your way through the list already? Right on! Here are 10 of the Best Vegetarian Restaurants in Sydney.
Image credit: Alex Squadrito at Venus Wholefoods