Queensland is a pretty enticing place. What, with our endless, beautiful beaches, eternal sunshine, and laidback vibes it’s pretty hard to imagine living anywhere else.
If you’ve just moved here, it’s okay—we get it, honestly. Heck, we’ve been here our whole lives!
Something changes when you move here though: you’re relaxed, tanned, and are suddenly okay with hitting the beach in June. Here’s a list of everything that will happen when you move to Queensland.
1. People will say “togs” and you will have NFI what they’re talking about.
2. Likewise, with potato scallop.
3. Oh, and a school bag is called a port and you buy lunch from the tuck shop. Copy?
4. You’ll think hitting the beach in June is totally normal.
5. After about six months you’ll scoff at the newbies who swim in June.
6. You’ll plan your grocery shopping around nothing—and we mean nothing—being open after 9pm.
7. State of Origin will actually matter to you.
8. You’ll fall about six months behind the trends.
9. Shoes will become optional for your trip to the shops.
10. When lying in bed at night you’ll think a devil animal is living in your back garden. But alas, you’ll learn it’s just a curlew.
11. Your new home becomes the destination of choice for all reunions, get-togethers, and catch-ups with interstate friends and family from your hometown.
12. Daylight savings will (unfortunately) be a thing of the past.
13. Tawny Frogmouths will scare the sh*t out of you at least once (spoiler alert: they’re not owls).
14. You’ll develop a soft spot for Queenslander houses and their ingenious design.
15. The end of the Coast you live at will define you.
16. You’ll eat tropical fruit pretty much all year round here.
17. You’ll realise the hinterland is just as, if not more, beautiful than the beach.
18. Swimming isn’t always an option thanks to stingers and crocs.
19. The north is reaaaallllyy far from the south.
20. But, day tripping to islands is the norm.
21. You’ll realise you CAN actually get good coffee outside Sydney and Melbourne. Like, seriously good.
22. You will stand on a cane toad when you take the bins out. Every time.
23. Humidity hits way, way harder than the heat.
24. Things will get mouldy and there will be sand everywhere.
25. Summer is rainy as hell.
26. The Ibis are in charge.
27. “Beautiful one day, perfect the next” will be stuck in your head at all times.
28. Icy poles are actually called ice blocks here.
29. Deadly doesn’t actually mean deadly, it means cool AF.
30. One thing is for certain, you’ll never want to leave.
Love Queensland? You’ll love it even more when you check out the state’s most beautiful camping spots.
Photo Credit: Brooke Darling for Metropolist