The humble barbecue ain’t so humble anymore, folks! Nothing impresses us like a mouth-watering dish that’s been cooked up over some hot coals for maximum flavour, with a few fresh ingredients and the right tools. Whether you’re celebrating the Australia Day long weekend, or simply having a few mates round for a grazing session with your barbecue as the snack-providing centre piece, we’re all for stepping up your food game this summer.
To help you nail the barbecue dish that will have everyone reaching for the last serving, we caught up with Aussie Barbecue Heroes judge and Heat Beads® guru Jess Pryles to give us the low-down on her favourite all-Australian dish: Vegemite flank steak tacos.
If you haven’t heard of Jess before, let us introduce you to her meaty credentials. Part-cook, part-writer, all meat lover, Jess is the brains behind the Carnivore’s Ball – one of the biggest barbecue meat events on the Australian food calendar. As well as being an expert in Texan style barbecue, Jess is also a co-founder of the Australasian Barbecue Alliance, aka the best club ever for meat-eating barbecue enthusiasts.
When it comes to barbecuing, Jess really knows her stuff. For her, hosting a cracking summer barbecue is about one thing: “Forget the crappy burnt snags, modern barbecuing is all about quality and flavour. Using exceptional meats and ingredients, and quality barbecue fuels, too. You should be as proud of what you cook in the backyard as of what you serve from your kitchen.”
So what goes into these Vegemite flank steak tacos? Read on…
- 1 x 500g flank steak
- 1 x 340g can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 x tsp Vegemite
- 1 x tsp garlic powder
- 1 x tsp onion powder
- 2 x tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x limes
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped onion (or Mexican pickled onion)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Solid fuel BBQ, such as a Weber kettle BBQ
- Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes
- Food processor or stick blender
- Season the flank steak lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or using a stick blender, combine the chipotle peppers, Vegemite, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder, along with the juice of one lime.
- Spread this mix over both sizes of the flank steak, then cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- While waiting for your steaks to marinate, light your Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes, leaving them for approx. 30-40 minutes until they are red hot.
- Grill the flank steak for 5-7 minutes each side, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 130˚F (54˚c), then remove and allow to rest in foil for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut the flank steak against the grain into 1cm slices.
- Layer a few slices of steak in a tortilla, top with fresh coriander and chopped onion, and serve with a few wedges of fresh lime.
Is your mouth watering yet?! Check out these other Heat Beads® barbecue tips, head to your local market to pick up some fresh ingredients, and get ready to serve up the most delicious barbecued tacos of the summer.
Image credit: Jess Pryles
Editor's Note: This article is proudly sponsored by Heat Beads® and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.