Say what you want but there’s no denying the Lower North Shore is a fine lookin’ neck of the woods. From beaches and parks (swarm of Lane Cove magpies at no additional cost), to the smorgasbord that is Crows Nest, you’re a spoilt-for-choice, set-in-your-ways kind of bunch but boy, do we love you (and your active wear weekend attire).
Here are a few things that’ll give you a heart twang or two if you call the Lower North Shore home.
- You’ve come to terms with the fact you’ll likely die on Military Road. Not due to an accident but because you spend all your time there #statistics.
- The Lower North Shore Times has a special spot in your heart. Even if every second article is about a young achiever—the fallout of which has you beelining for the bottle-o.
- You know at least one set of Prue and Trude’s in Mosman or Neutral Bay. They’ve tried to push beach chic homewares on you twice.
- Lane Cove Shops has slowly but surely become overrun by babies, puppies and, of no coincidence but concern nonetheless, swooping magpies. It’s a good thing they’ve got Via Napoli Pizzeria.
- Anyone aged 10 and under seems to be dressed exclusively in striped or nautical-themed clothing. Barring that, a full kit out from Seed. You don’t hate it.
- Cammeray is just Miller Street and we’ll fight to the death our right to refer to it as such.
- You’re not sure what all the fuss is about regarding Taronga Zoo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- You’ve stalled your car (or dipped a little further backwards than you’d like) on Mandolong Road at Balmoral after a long lie on the beach/glutt-sesh at The Boathouse.
- Living in Artarmon appeals to you for two reasons: 1. Its proximity to Salvage Speciality Coffee and 2. It kind of sounds like a Pokémon.
- You’re either a Westfield Chatswood or Chatswood Chase kind of person. Never both.
- You’re on a first name basis with the gang at The Incinerator. Largely because you insisted they rename their Chocolate Tim Tam Shake after you smashed through it in five minutes. WINNER.
- Stink-eye is reserved for those using anything other than a Bugaboo if you’re a parent or Birkenstocks if you still relish disposable income.
- That smug look on your face? It’s knowing you’ve scored the grassy knolls of Cremorne, Blues Point and Kirribilli. Your picnic game is LIT.
- “How do you sleep at night?” is answered by, “Fine, so long as we don’t live on the Pacific Highway”.
- You told someone you were taking them to Laneway, and couldn’t understand their disappointment when you popped into Laneway Café. Their Good Morning Burger has a hash brown in it!
- You’ve risked blindness by starring at parking signs to make sure, really sure, that you’re really, truly allowed to park there. Especially in North Sydney.
- Crows Nest is a mecca of food and wine with restaurant and bar options that would spoil even the most opulent of gods. Notable mentions go to Mama’s Buoi, BahBQ and The Porch.
- The above bravado is greatly diminished thanks to the ageing yellow tokens at Crows Nest council parking. It’s 2016 people.
- Date night would not be complete without popping into Small Bar and sipping on a glass of their best red under the patio fairy lights.
- It’s not a Sunday unless you’re running into someone else in the same active wear getup at About Life.
- Feeling superior AF against your Lower North Shore compatriots who don’t live quite near enough to a train station so they must brave The Bus (especially if it’s the free Artarmon shuttle).
All about the North? Check this out.
Image credit: Mama's Buoi | Image credit: Tanya Lee