Okay, so there are breads, and there are breads. We're not talking about basic breads that you use for slathering things onto i.e. sandwiches and toast, but breads that you use as a vehicle for shoving delicious dips and sauces into your mouth, such as incredible curry!
We’re of course referencing the mighty roti; all buttery, a little flaky, and fried to perfection.
If you’ve ever marvelled at this bread to beat all breads, and wondered just how this carbo-liciousness came into being, you are in for a real treat.
Serving up the hottest food trends from S.E Asia, we’ve teamed up with the crew at PappaRich to share their top secret recipes (and a few tricks of the trade!) to bring you your very own step-by-step PappaRich cooking class, coming at you from your sofa.
So let’s roll up those sleeves and get right to it; here’s how to make easy peasy, sensational roti.
How To Make The Best Roti Ever
What you’ll need:
1 kg Flour
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
200 ml Milk
250 ml Water
Margarine, Enough To Coat
Let’s Make Roti!
- Place flour, sugar salt, milk, water and a drop of oil in a bowl. Mix together until it forms a dough-like consistency.
- Time to get your hands dirty! Knead the dough with your hands, then leave to rest in a cool place for around four hours.
- Lightly flour a flat surface, then roll out your dough to approx. 5cm in thickness.
- Cut into seven equal-sized pieces (approximately 7 will work well), then roll into balls.
- Lightly oil your dough balls with a pastry brush, then oil a flat surface (using vegetable oil) ready for rolling out your roti bread.
- Take your dough ball and gently kneed it out to roughly twice the size of a dinner plate. Be careful not to tear your dough!
- Then brush the top side of your dough with more vegetable oil.
- You want to then fold the thin dough in on itself, folding to the middle, then roll in on itself so that it looks like a dough scroll!
- Your roti balls are now ready for cooking. Sear both sides in a hot, oiled pan for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Now for the best bit: Plating up. Serve with your favourite curry sauce, and dig in!
But, let's be real, if you don't have time just head to Papparich and let their chefs do all the work for you.
Win A Trip To Malaysia!
We've teamed up with PappaRich to give away a trip to Malaysia. Bring on temples, beaches, laksa and cocktails.
Editor's note: This article is proudly sponsored by Pappa Rich and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy. To Read all terms and conditions please click here.