We love a bargain breakfast here at The Urban List HQ, and word travels fast when one of our team has discovered a top brekkie spot that does a delicious meal for under $10. To help you stay smart with your cashola, we’ve compiled 25 of the city’s top breakfast cheap eats from some of the best restaurants and cafes in Melbourne—go forth and save, people!
1. Breakfast deal, $10, George St Café | East Melbourne
This cute corner café does a great weekday deal before 10am. You earlybirds can get scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and a kickass coffee for only $9.90.
2. $10 Takeaway Menu, St Edmonds Café | Prahran
The entire St Edmonds $10 takeaway menu is great, but we especially love the smashed avocado on toast with tomato, feta, radishes and chives—one of the best cafes in Melbourne for a healthy start to the day!
3. Yoghurt Jar, $8, Grace café | Fitzroy
One of our favourite hidden gems, Grace café in Fitzroy serves a delicious yoghurt jar with home made coulis, toasted muesli, goji berries & cacao nibs for $8. Bargain!
4. Raison Bagel with the works, $7, Manchester Press | Melbourne CBD
Calling all bagel fans! At $7, the raison bagel with mascarpone and jam at Manchester Press comes with our stamp of approval, and the coffee ain’t bad either.
5. Bircher Muesli, $10.50, Pavlov’s Duck | Fitzroy
It’s worth shelling out that extra fifty cents above the $10 mark for Fitroy café Pavlov’s Duck’s bircher muesli with natural yoghurt, poached plums, toasted coconut and mint, which is $10.50 a pop.
6. Banana Bread, $6.50, The Joinery | Elwood
This toasted banana bread is perfect with some butter, plus their Supreme coffee is only $3.30 a cup!
7. Cashew chocolate bagels, $7.50, Union St Brewers | Brunswick
This hidden gem does a cracking line of bagels, and you get TWO per serving!
8. Breakfast BLT, $9, The Banff | St Kilda
This St Kilda Breakfast BLT is legendary—smoked bacon, rocket, tomato and aioli on Turkish bread, all for only $9.
9. Fruit toast with lemon and vanilla ricotta, $8, Kinfolk | Melbourne CBD
Kinfolk is one of the best cafes in Melbourne for a CBD snack. Their fruit toast comes from Dench Bakery in North Fitzroy, and their strawberry compote is only a dollar more. Delish.
10. Ricotta hotcakes with rhubarb and poached strawberries, $10, Cornershop | Yarraville
The title says it all.
11. Bacon and egg brioche roll, $7.50, Piccolo | Prahran
This comes packed with cheese, bacon, egg and chutney—such a great flavour combo, we could eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
12. Toasted pide, $9, Small Block | East Brunswick
Enjoy a vego breakfast of roast pumpkin, pesto, feta and fresh spinach—a healthy start to any day.
13. Peanut butter cookie sandwich, $4.50, North Carlton Canteen | North Carlton
Alright, so this isn’t the most nutritious breakfast, but the peanut butter cookie sandwiches at North Carlton Canteen are PERFECT if you need a sugar hit to chomp on with a coffee.
14. Fruit salad with honey and yoghurt, $10, Yellow Bird café | Windsor
Fresh, tasty and natural…A good option for you clean eating folk.
15. House Crumpets, $7, Hortus | Docklands
These Dr Marty’s crumpets come served with espresso butter and espresso infused caramel sauce, all made with Seven Seeds coffee. Yum.
16. Banana bread with yogurt and strawberries, $8.50, Sourdough Kitchen | Seddon
The yoghurt that tops this toasted banana bread is lemon-infused, giving its sweetness a perfect citrus kick!
17. Home-made Bircher, $9, Roller Door Café | West Melbourne
Nothing beats home-made bircher with natural yoghurt, honey and cinnamon nuts. Extra almonds, please!
18. Brown rice porridge, $9, 1000£ Bend | Melbourne CBD
If you need something to keep you going all day, the brown rice porridge with toasted sesame seeds, cinnamon sugar and doris plums at CBD favourite 1000£ Bend is a winner.
19. Steamed egg with Vegemite soldiers, $9.50, Mr Tulk | Melbourne CBD
A nostalgic classic. Need we say more?
20. Breakfast Quesidilla, $9, Brighton Soul Espresso | Brighton
Start your day with this tasty ham and cheddar quesadilla, which comes with spicy relish. If you’re really scrimping or aren’t in need of a big feed, you can get a half-slice for $5 too. Easy!
21. Vanilla Porridge, $8.70, Finn | St Kilda
Tuck into Finn’s deliciously creamy vanilla porridge with honey, sultanas, banana and pepita seeds—the perfect clean-eating fuel for your day.
22. Breakfast Roll, $9.50, The St Kilda Dispensary | St Kilda
If you’re a hollandaise sauce fan, you need to get your hands on this tasty roll, which comes stuffed full of bacon, egg, rocket and a hefty portion of that buttery sauce of dreams.
23. Mushroom Bagel, $8, Pocket Café | North Melbourne
A whole baked mushroom comes on this bagel, which is served with a fried egg, feta cheese and rocket, making it one of the best vegetarian breakfasts in Melbourne for less than a tenner.
24. Fresh pastries, various prices, Boundary Espresso | Preston
Sometimes we simply can’t resist starting the day with a cherry-filled Danish, no matter how good we’re trying to be! Boundary Espresso (one of the best cafes in Melbourne if you’re in the more northernly northern suburbs) keeps a range that are all worth trying.
25. Anywhere in Centre Place | Melbourne CBD
Situated adjacent to Degraves Street, Centre Place is home to many a cheap brekky find. Have a wander and see what takes your fancy—we’re sure you’ll find something delicious that’ll only cost pocket change!
To help you through those times when you’re short on cashola, we’ve partnered with our friends at Nimble to bring you the best cheap eats in Melbourne. These lists are researched and recommended by The Urban List and brought to you by Nimble. Still struggling on the cash front? See what Nimble might be able to do for you.
Image credit: St Edmond's, Simon Shiff for The Urban List